1967 Everude 60 HP question

RLD

Recruit
I have a question regarding the carberation on this motor, but first some back ground information. The motor is on a 15 ft fibrglass boat the engine starts good and runs great but heres the problem,<br /><br /> When we go to take off it seems like the boat takes a long time to get on plane, but when on plane the engine pushes the boat well, top speed is about 40 MPH which to me seems quite good for such an old boat and motor. <br /><br /> - Carbs have been removed and cleaned,<br /> - Idle screws are out 3/4 turn. <br /> - New spark plugs. <br /> - Compression is <br /> > top, 105 psig<br /> > center, 110 psig<br /> > bottem, 105 psig<br /> - When I had the carbs off I did check the reeds and they seem ok.<br /> - I did check the lower unit for oil and quality of oil and it seems fine.<br /><br /> I am thinking the engine is getting to much fuel at idle and there for loading up with fuel at idle, is there any adjustments other than the low speed adjustment on the carbs. <br /><br /> One other thing the thernostate on this engine is not working, stuck open, i am going to get a new one before we go back out to the lake this coming weekend. <br /><br /><br /> Sorry about the long winded message but any hlp would be greatly apprecated. <br /><br /> Rob ( robd1964@yahoo.com )

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1967 Everude 60 HP question

What is your WOT rpm? You could just be over proped.<br /><br />Mac

RLD

Recruit

not sure what the WOT rpm is as I do not have a tach on the boat, I will how ever bring my portable tach with me to the lake this week end and check it, now that you menion it the WOT RPM does seem low, like maybe the wrong pitch of prop or some thing like that. Do you know who to find out th pitch of a prop? <br /><br /> rob

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

If your 60 hp is a 1967 what is the compression on #4? the 1967 60hp was V4. A 3 cylinder was made in 1970-71

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

We need a model No. here!<br /> <br /> 1967, 60 hp. V-4<br /> 1968, 55 hp, In-line 3<br /> 1968, 65 hp, V-4<br /><br /> I would check WOT, rpm, and check pitch of prop. On an engine of this age I would pull the cylinder head (heads) regardless of the compression reading.

RLD

Recruit

Sorry about that, I was told this motor was a 1967 Eve Triumph 60 HP, now I am not sure. I have locatd the serial / model plate but it is so scratched up I can not make out the serial or model number. <br /><br /> The engine is a 3 cyl, it is a sorta sandy light green cooler except the hood, the hood is two tone white ( center ) and sandy light green ( top and bottem ) with red and white decals. <br /><br /> I have had the head off to inspect the cylinder bore as well have the center cylinder spark plug threads fixed ( bought this way ) , the bore is fine.<br /><br /> I have a Pulse Engine Tach ( model PET-2100DX )( http://www.foxriversystems.com/proddetail.php?prod=PET-2100DX ) that I will bring to the lake this weekend and check the WOT RPM, if the engines is a 1970-71 what should the WOT RPM be??? <br /><br /> thanks all <br /><br /> Rob

RLD

Recruit

One other question, <br /><br /> I am not sure but I dont think the charging system is working as I have checked the battery volt several times with the engine running, I am getting readings of about 11.9 to 12.1 volts, shouldnt the battery voltage with the engine running be some where around 13 volts or better?<br /><br /> If in fact the charging system is not work what should I check and how would I check it?? <br /><br /> thanks again<br /><br /> Rob

RLD

Recruit

Thanks Jimmbo, <br /><br /> its a 1971 , thanks for the WOT info<br /><br /><br /> Rob