1967 20 hp johnson will not go foward... HELP ME PLEASE!!

cow320

Cadet
hi everyone im new to this site and hopefully it will help me.. I bought and 14' semi v starcraft last weekend. It came with a 1967 20 hp johnson.. i ran it all last weekend, and it ran better than id ever imagine.. but i put it in the water today and it started on the first pull, reverse worked, i put it in foward and move the throttle up and it just idles really high and and nothing happens, the boat doesnt even move, but i know the prop is turning, can anyone give me any pointers?? Thanks

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1967 20 hp johnson will not go foward... HELP ME PLEASE!!

You say the prop is turning - then it should go forward. Do you mean the prop shaft is turning and the prop is NOT turning? If that is the case, could be a spun hub in the prop. Or a broken drive pin. If the prop shaft is not turning, then could be the lower shift rod has come loose from the coupler, but then it should stay in reverse. Do you have remote controls on the motor or do you shift it at the motor? If remote, shift cable could be out of adjustment.

jbjennings

Captain

If the prop is turning, is HAS to go. I'd suspect you sheared a pin in your prop, or your shift rod has come out of the connector, or the rubber bushing in the prop has gone out. To check the pin, take the prop off...... to check the connector, take the little oval cover off the midsection by removing the 2 screws and working the shift lever to see if the bottom rod is moving up and down........to check the rubbber bushing, make a mark across the face of the prop and run the motor. If the marks aren't still lined up, your bushing is trashed and you need to take it to a prop shop.
Good luck,
JBJ

cow320

Cadet

You say the prop is turning - then it should go forward. Do you mean the prop shaft is turning and the prop is NOT turning? If that is the case, could be a spun hub in the prop. Or a broken drive pin. If the prop shaft is not turning, then could be the lower shift rod has come loose from the coupler, but then it should stay in reverse. Do you have remote controls on the motor or do you shift it at the motor? If remote, shift cable could be out of adjustment.

Yes i have remote control but i did both, i shifted at the control, and at the motor, and it still did it, thanks for replying

cow320

Cadet
do i need a thermostat??

do i need a thermostat??

1967 20 hp motor is pumping out hot water.... is this normal??