1966 Slickcraft..

diverpat

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1966 Sleekcraft real cheap, one thing the guy told me was that the boat was real heavy cause it was well built, the boat is foam filled. After doing alot of work fixing on the boat I noticed that most of the foam I come in contact with is wet. This boat had alot of leaks thru the windows and bow rails, inside the cuddy cabin all the storage places were filled with water, there's 2 spots in the back of the boat they made for thru hull for bait pmp and transducer, they were filled with water due to water seeping from foam, is there any way to get foam to dry out. I got most of the leaks fixed, I think that's were the heavyness comes in, it seems to float ok, in the next couple of weeks I will test the new engine so I will see how it operates.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 Sleekcraft..

I'll bet it's HEAVY! The ONLY way to get the water out is to rip the foam out. Drilling holes, heat lamps, etc. are a waste of time. Not only will the waterlogged foam help rot out any wood it is in contact with, it will also increase your fuel usage by carrying around the extra hundreds of pounds of weight of that water. There's a good chance your boat is already suffering from rot damage, judging by the age and level of waterlogged-ness...

diverpat

Cadet

I found out I have a 1966 23 foot slickcraft not a sleekcraft as I first thought, I was wondering if anyone knows what the boat should weigh before i start ripping out all the foam.What I have so far all the wood seems to be fine, not that much rot. And when I did set it in the water it sat at the normal water line.

Bondo

Staff member

I found out I have a 1966 23 foot slickcraft not a sleekcraft as I first thought, I was wondering if anyone knows what the boat should weigh before i start ripping out all the foam.What I have so far all the wood seems to be fine, not that much rot. And when I did set it in the water it sat at the normal water line.

Ayuh,.... Donno how'd you'd ever find the weight of a hull that old,...

I'd just keep diggin' til the Wet is gone....

There shouldn't be standin' water, Anywhere in a pitched hull...

I'll move this to the Restoration forum for ya,... You've got some learnin' to do, 'n that's the place for That..

diverpat

Cadet

Ok, well so far I got 4 1/2 33gal trash bags full of wet foam,got about 4 more bags to go ( I hope), all the wood is encased in fiberglass and i don't feel any soft spots. there still a small section under the main fuel tank that i'm just going to leave. I do not intend on putting any new foam back in, just sealing everything back up, there will be a couple of spots on both sides where I can check if water is still coming in after rains/ wash downs. My question is is it safe to leave the foam out, i have been told yes it's ok, almost everyone else never puts the foam back in??

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, well so far I got 4 1/2 33gal trash bags full of wet foam,got about 4 more bags to go ( I hope), all the wood is encased in fiberglass and i don't feel any soft spots. there still a small section under the main fuel tank that i'm just going to leave. I do not intend on putting any new foam back in, just sealing everything back up, there will be a couple of spots on both sides where I can check if water is still coming in after rains/ wash downs. My question is is it safe to leave the foam out, i have been told yes it's ok, almost everyone else never puts the foam back in??

Ayuh,... Drillin' a small hole, 'n checkin' the wood shavin's is how to see if the stringers are Good, or Rotten....

If yer Slickcraft is built as solidly as the Slickcrafts I've worked on,...
No, ya don't really need the foam....

In many lesser hulls, the foam provides abit of strength,....

diverpat

Cadet

Ayuh,... Drillin' a small hole, 'n checkin' the wood shavin's is how to see if the stringers are Good, or Rotten....

If yer Slickcraft is built as solidly as the Slickcrafts I've worked on,...
No, ya don't really need the foam....

In many lesser hulls, the foam provides abit of strength,....

Thanks for your input, was hoping to get one from someone who knows these boats. Yes it feels and looks well built and solid as you said, so when I get the rest of the wet foam out I think I will be good to go, thanks again