1965 johnson 75 hp no spark

Jerry Ohmer

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1965 johnson super sea hourse electomatic that I have been working on. the wiring on this thing was a mess, so after making a new harness she won't start. I am not getting any fire to the plugs even if I strait wire the positive on the coil. The wiring diagrams I have been finding including at the top of this page dont seem to cover my engine. what would I check next? I'm lost.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 johnson 75 hp no spark

If you have spark directly at the coil, at the high tension coil wire, the wiring is okay BUT the bakelite rotor in the distributor is shorted out to the steel shaft upon which it sits. In which case, replace the rotor.

NOTE: There are 2 different rotors... magneto 580260 and automotive ignition 580338. You need the 580338 rotor.

The magneto rotor's business end has a hook look to it. The automotive rotor simply has the straight out normal look to the business end of it. The two DO NOT interchange!

a70eliminator

Captain

If you have spark directly at the coil, at the high tension coil wire, the wiring is okay BUT the bakelite rotor in the distributor is shorted out to the steel shaft upon which it sits. In which case, replace the rotor.

NOTE: There are 2 different rotors... magneto 580260 and automotive ignition 580338. You need the 580338 rotor.

The magneto rotor's business end has a hook look to it. The automotive rotor simply has the straight out normal look to the business end of it. The two DO NOT interchange!

I'm curious as to if that "hook" can be ground down or filed off to match the straight style, I did just that on one but haven't tried it yet, It looks to me as if will work.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Not something I would do. Best to install the proper component.