1965 Johnson 6 hp CD-22M water pump replacement

sluffmeister

Recruit
This is my first post so please bear with me as I display some of my ignorance.

I picked up a '65 6 hp Johnson on Craig's list this week and the motor runs, but the pee hole is not shooting out any water. I only ran the motor for a minute, but I could tell it was heating up so I shut her down. I've since removed the lower unit and will replace the impeller. Here's where the questions come in:

1. I found some BBs on the floor of my shed after working on said boat motor. (It should be noted that I have also removed the lower unit on a 1957 Johnson QD-18 10 hp motor earlier, but I didn't notice the bb's while working on that motor). What would these bb's be from? I found about 6 of them so far.

2. I noticed that the Sierra kit for the impeller replacement comes with the bottom plate, or I can just buy just the impeller. What would determine if I need that bottom plate replaced? (Sierra 18-3202) Should I consider replacing any other components related to the water pump?

3. I purchased the motor without a top cowling cover for the motor. Anyone have a recommendation of where to get one in the Minneapolis area? I'd like to avoid shipping costs if possible.

Thanks for all of your sage advice!

Last edited:

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
There shouldn't be anything resembling bb's in that motor. The pump base plate should only need to be replaced if deeply grooved, at which point the cup should be replaced too. Try twin City outboard in Shakopee for a hood.

mrmotts

Cadet
I serviced the same model this year... I can't imagine BB-like parts being used on either of those models. Hopefully they weren't sucked up into the water cooling passages.

If the water pump plate or inside of housing is badly pitted or scored it should be replaced. If you have a plastic (aftermarket) pump housing, you need to use impeller 0763735. Use soapy water to lube impeller and push housing down while turning driveshaft clockwise to prevent vanes from bending the wrong way. Also the pin at top of drive shaft must be aligned with powerhead seal when installing gear case back on.

Could find cowl on craigslist or marine salvage.

I found this page to be pretty helpful with these motors http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm

sluffmeister

Recruit
RCO and mrmotts thanks for the replies. I love this site. People are so helpful! I went ahead and bought an impeller and pump plate (only a few extra dollars for plate) and installed tonight. I found out that the pee hole doesn't actually pee, but more trickles, and it helps to have the motor in gear to pump the water. That link was very helpful mrmotts!

I'm still perplexed about the mystery BBs / bearings on the floor of my shed. I can't imagine they are from the riding mower either. Hmm, maybe someone else will have an idea. I don't think they could have been sucked up into the water cooling system due to screens. I just hope that I'm not doing damage to my 6 hp motor by running it now.