1965 Johnson 3 horse?

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Just got a freebie today, and I was wondering if anybody had any info on this little outboard.

Im seeing the model # JH-20B as being a 1965 3 horse, but I dont know what the B on the end means. I was told it was a fully running piece, but havent done anything to it yet. It seems to be all there, but there is no reverse or neutral on this little bugger?

Are these decent motors, or has anybody run them to know of any quirks/strong points? Is it worth putting some money into and slapping on a square back canoe or little pram?

EricsMisc011.jpg

EricsMisc018.jpg

EricsMisc014.jpg

Thanks for any replies.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Johnson 3 horse?

Don't worry about the B. It only means something IF there was a mid-year engineering change. Only matters if you need to order the part affected. In that case, the parts book would indicate it.

On of the best motors ever made. But much more popular in the weedless drive version. You have the "Heavy Duty" right angle drive version, made for pushing heavy loads such as sailboats. In additon, yours is a long shaft, and unsuitable for a canoe or most small boats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In additon, yours is a long shaft, and unsuitable for a canoe or most small boats.

It would make a decent little kicker for that there 15' SeaNymph though! ;)

lindy46

Captain

It's a direct drive motor - start it and go. To go in reverse, you spin it around 180 degrees.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Ah yes, longshaft..... Doh!

I would venture a guess it was used in salt water since my cousin trucked it up from the Cape.

But it would look good as a kicker sitting beside my 1962 28 horse Ezmobee!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I'll see what she needs in the near future, theres still aqua firma up here at the moment.

kfa4303

Banned

I say it's worth it. As long as the compression is decent you should be able to bring her back to life with a tune up kit, carb kit and impeller. Probably do itall for under $100 and it would look pretty dang cool too, which is of course the most important thing :) Keep us posted.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I say it's worth it. As long as the compression is decent you should be able to bring her back to life with a tune up kit, carb kit and impeller. Probably do itall for under $100 and it would look pretty dang cool too, which is of course the most important thing :) Keep us posted.

10-4 KFA.

I'll look for some tune up stuff soon. Seems to pull over quite dry at the moment, is there a decompression knob on these? I dont see one... must be just DRY.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

HaHa

That 3 horse was doing pretty good out there. Id like to snag a little aluminum to put mine on and hit the outlets and streams.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Id like to snag a little aluminum to put mine on and hit the outlets and streams.

My dad got this little 14' a year ago for $600. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg It came with a fairly crummy single cylinder Merc 5HP. It was noisey and had some issues so he sold it. We now run it exclusively with my Evinrude 4HP Deluxe. That little thing does great! We have run all around with it and covered a lot of distance with sometimes as much as 3 adults and my young son.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

That would work for me Ez.

12 footer would work too if I could locate one with a 20" transom around here.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

A couple more questions.

Ive seen some 1965 JW 20 parts around out there, would that powerhead be the same as my JH if I needed to replace something? Ive read that it is.

Also, is the weedless unit that much better? Im assuming its better for shallow waters and fishing, as opposed to mine being for pushing in deeper/salt waters. Would the JW unit be compatible with mine?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

They are all pretty compatible and unchanged all through the decades of production. For specific parts, go to the parts listings here http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php?gclid=CKLS__vfppsCFRKIxwodFlHZxg to confirm.

I only have the weedless (angle) lower units on mine, so I can't comment on the right angle ones. A weedless lower unit should be able to bolted on in place of the right angle unit.

You can take off the 5" extension and make it a short shaft if that is an issue.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, just unbolt the lower unit from the motor at the top of the extension, remove the whole thing with the drive shaft and you can install a short shaft weedless prop in it's place. The only thing you'll need to do is remove or replace the water pick up tube. On that, the water tube will either have an extension, or it was made 5 inches longer.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Quick update on the lil 3.

Finally got around to messing with it and cleaned it up a bit. LU fluid looked like sausage gravy... Why are there never any drain seals on anything??? Put some new fluid in it and once I figured out the vent in the gas cap needed to be open.. :facepalm: ... it fired up. Seems like the gas shut off valve doesnt fully shut off though, it still drips out with the line off the carb. Gonna figure out if I can put a newer shutoff on there.

But, she does run! Here she is purring in a 6 gal bucket.

EricsMisc031.jpg

Going to put a new impeller in and try to find drain screw seals. Carb seems ok, might need a kit down the road.

kfa4303

Banned

Nice! Glad you got her running. I bet the seafoam will help too. Great stuff. Best $10 you can spend on a motor. Congrats!

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks KFA.

Yeah the seafoam helped my 1962 Johnny 28 quite a bit before, gotta find the can... LOL

Man this motor is quiet!