1965 Crysler Sea King, 35hp

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2 weeks ago I had my boat out and was totally stoked that I had fixed my lack of reverse and could now actaully put in with out the circus act. Now on the 12th I decided that it was time to drain the lower unit and replace the lube. I did that and it went well. Last Thursday I took it out and put in just fine. started up like normal. backed of my trailer just fine. Got the boat turned around, throttle foward and started to go with a steady climb to full speed. About half way up the power scale it leveled out then dropped to a sputter. If kept in forward it would die. I limped back to the ramp. I thought it was maybe a fouled plug. I replaced both and that did not work. I tried a few more times to get up to speed and was never able to even get up to speed as fast as I was the first time it crapped out on me. Any ideas anyone? Thank you for your help all. :)

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Crysler Sea King, 35hp

Check your fuel tank vent???

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it isn't the fuel tank vent, I'd take the carb apart and soak it. Then, rebuild with a new carb kit available at iboats or NAPA. I'd also change the diaphragm in the fuel pump-it's probably old and stretched and not working properly. My Chrysler manual says to soak the carb in gasoline. Today, it's probably cheaper to soak in carb cleaner.

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah...I made sure that the vents we open ....tried both tanks even<br /><br />I forgot to say that when i was back at the ramp, i pulled the cover off and manually open the carb up....and it rev'd with no problems at all.<br />So im kind of thinking that maybe fuel flow isnt the direct problem.....although a nice carb re-build never hurts....