1965 6 hp Evinrude erratic spark

wrench 3

Commander
I just had a random thought. Looking back at your video, that's a pretty small diameter bucket. Is it possible that it's sucking exhaust back into the water intake?

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't think the barrel is the problem I have run dozens of motors in it without problems. Quite a few just like this one.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
hard to see a hole when there isn't one, huh?...I looked at some pics of the older housings and yeah, no hole...sorry to have mislead you on that...does your wear plate have a small hole in?....just thinking.....in your test barrel is the water level within 4 or 5 inches of the exhaust relief hole?...is the motor idling in gear when the water from the exhaust relief tapers off and quits?

Yes, the water level is quite a bit over the water pump and near the exaust holes. It is usually idling when the flow stops but it will stop in gear or out.

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
when you get the new plate and are installing it...put some adhesive on the underside edge of the plate as well as the impeller housing base...smooth up the impeller housing body cavity that the impeller runs in...coat the entire impeller with a film of grease <triple guard grease if you have some>...if this doesn't fix it you may be looking at replacing the water pump with a complete new kit

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wear plate and sealer didn't work. Only moved water for a few seconds.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have another 6, a 78 or 79 with a bad powerhead. I guess I will try swapping out the water pump housing.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Is the water tube sealing grommet in good shape and are you 100% certain it is fitted correctly when L/U is reinstalled?

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
The water pump housing out of the other 6 hp did the trick. Pumping water as it should now.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't see any difference. Everything matched up perfectly.

The fun just keeps coming though. I had not even checked the LU lube before today. It had several tablespoons of water in it then some pretty thick nasty oil. So, I guess new seals are the next chapter in the Ugly Green '65 Saga.

I filled the LU with lube and ran it in the barrel for about 20 minutes then let is sit for 30 more. When I drained the oil it again was pretty milky.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
How many seals am I looking at replacing? Gonna be my first time.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Nahh... Think I would pressure test first in a tub of water (Look for bubbles.) It might be just the crush washers.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked out a few videos on how to build a tester. I will give that a try oldboat1.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah, I have a small foot pump and gauge that I use mainly for inflating bumpers. (I just use the needle through a piece of rubber gasket for testing lower units) Low pressure, maybe 10psi or so.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I rigged up a foot pump with a pressure gauge and put about 8 pounds on it. The leak is at the shift rod. I have never changed the seals. Any advice?

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like I will have to take the LU apart to remove the seal. Should I remove and replace the other seals while I have it apart?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hi Bullie. Well, should wait for addit. comments -- believe procedure on your 6 is to open the gear case and remove the shift shaft from the bottom, then remove and replace the seal. If that's correct, would think it might be good to replace the prop shaft seal while in there. If I have it right re. disassembly of the gearcase, will probably want a length of the spaghetti seal to reassemble.

Sorry to hear it wasn't simply a crush washer. (Maybe could switch out the l.u. from the parts motor and work on the current one later?)