1965 3.9hp plug fouls

Teseal

Seaman
OK so going to run on the J8C for now. Still running way to rich it seems, lots of smoke and oil in the water. Waiting for a service manual now so I can check carb/ign sync and timing.

merc850

Commander
I don't know what brand of oil you're using but I've found that Amsoil synthetic smokes less and if you live in the US you can get 100:1 blend which lets you go from 50:1 to 100:1. I was mixing it at 70:1 and of course I used less oil and reduced smoking.

Teseal

Seaman
That ratio info is pretty interesting. I don't remember the brand of oil just that it's the correct spec, marine, and in a blue bottle. But I don't feel my Yamaha 40 smokes a lot nor all the other 2 cycles I use it in. But you know another thing that concerns me is all the oil in the test barrel.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil in a test barrel is a concern to many folks.-----I have stated it many times.----Oil / lubrication / operation / inner workings of 2 strokes is not well understood.-----Oil floating in your test barrel is normal for that motor !

Teseal

Seaman
I agree, I expect to find some oil floating in there. The quantity is what is concerning me, especially after such short runs. Its not the first 2 cycle I've run in a barrel.