1965 18 hp evinrude runs... Now What????

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1965 18 hp evinrude runs... Now What????

Hello again Mon. I suppose you could put it in the housing first, but that's a lot harder. I prefer to first, slide down the impeller taking care to align the slot in the impeller with the small key in the drive shaft. Once the impeller lays flat on the ware plate, you can then lower the impeller housing while simultaneously rotating the drive shaft clockwise with your free hand. Putting a thin layer on Vaseline on the tips of the impeller, or along the inner wall of the housing can help. At first, the housing won't want to go down, but as you rotate the drive shaft clockwise the fins should take on the proper orientation allowing the housing to drop down and lay flat. You can then install the housing bolt and reinstall the LU. Holler again if you need it.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kfa4303, i hope to go home tonight and try it your way and hopefully get the lower unit in, I want to thank you for all your help on this as this is my first motor and i am trying to learn all i can. so glad to have you looking over my work and making sure its right I could have not done it with out you!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

make sure the water tube is inserted at both ends... in the respective rubber grommets !!

Use a flashlight to look up the exhaust channnel as you wiggle the L.U. in place

if the water tube was left holding in place in the upper grommet... all you need to do is push it in the waterpump end grommet)

Like Pres. Reagan said ...... "Trust but verify"

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I DID IT I DID IT YOU ALL DID IT, Thanks to all i got the lower unit in tonight listen to all of all of your advise out there and it seems to be working, motor is back together and ready for teats..........

is it bad to put your motor in really cold water????

Thanks to all wow i love you all and this motor ..................................