1964 Evinrude 5 1/2 will not start

chiefk

Cadet
Answer to 2 above posts. I did not see a number if you are talking about the jet in hole that has the big plug. That used to be the high speed needle on the older carbs. I could not remove it but I could see the hole and it was wide open. There has always been fuel in the carb when I removed it but maybe not enough or too much, who knows? Float upside down? I wish!
I am on the road now and will be gone for 3 weeks but when I get home it will back to that carb and I will check everything you guys just told me. Thank you for the ideas.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
We had kind of thought the jet was not removed. It need to be pulled out to clean properly.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You need a special tool to remove it as mentioned above here. The tool can be made from a screwdriver. It could be shot now. Ill assume the tabs broke off? Some jets need to be heated, and have your favourite brew such as PB Blaster sprayed on them to get them out.

chiefk

Cadet
Finally finished. Well the motor is running like a charm now. What was wrong? I don't know. When I got back on it I tore down the carb again and put a new float in it and adjusted the float correctly. Also the low speed needle had a groove worn into it, I sanded/polished the groove out and made a new needle point on it. I also went through the ignition system one more time and really did nothing except readjust the air gap on the coils and rechecked the points. Put it all together and it starts great with choke on and then runs great. Maybe the only thing I don't like is that the motor will not idle down to slow on the throttle handle but it is just ticking over at the shift point. I think no problem and will live with that.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The "gauge" on the throttle handle is seldom very precise...run it by "ear", you'll be fine.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Maybe float level? Also check that the choke is actually closing and the throttle is opening, I've seen them stick both ways.

Last edited: