1964 Evinrude 40hp carb settings

Sidserv

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what the setting are for the rich lean adjuster on a 1964 Evinrude 40HP carb. I am looking for how many turns from bottom for the book settings. I will adjust them after that. The motor was gone through by the local boat shop and then it sat for 9 months. The old lady that owns it can't afford to send it back to the shop at 115 an hour. New coils, condensers and points. Has good spark and getting pleanty of fuel(too much due to plugs being wet when it dies). It starts and idles but it sputters and dies after a few minutes. Bowl stays full. Going to pull the carb tonight and check the float level. Also something that I have never seen before. There is a small part just to the left of the carb that has a plate on it that says rich/Lean with three screws. It isn't the normal high/low speed adjustment screws. The fuel pump is on the side of the motor so I am not really sure what the part is on the side of the carb. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

katfish2123

Cadet
Re: 1964 Evinrude 40hp carb settings

the plate on the side of carb should be automatic choke. It will either have a solenoid on the bottom of it or not. One works on hot water and the other on hot air. Just read this last night and don't have my manual with me right now.

Check out the pictures on this link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=496126&p=3348449#post3348449 and see if it looks the same as yours. Mine doesnt have the solenoid on the bottom of the choke.