1963 Starflite 75hp Running Too much smoke? Video.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys check out the video of the motor running. The motor has new spark plug wires, new time belt, new spark plugs, and new ignition coil (msd blaster 2). Check the video, the motor was warmed up and once it idles theres not much smoke. Once i start reving the smoke just builds. I'm using 50:1 Lucas semi-synthetic 2stroke oil. It maybe a bit higher the 50:1 maybe around 40:1.
let me know what you guys think, is this normal?

The youtube link is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIvXOYCgGgo

Thanks guys!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 Starflite 75hp Running Too much smoke? Video.

Have you done a compression check?

Do the plugs look "steamed cleaned?"

Seems like a lot of steam...?

What's the air temp? Lots of steam can be produced if the air temp is low.

Mas

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've done a compression check and got 55 55 55 51 on a cold engine with spark plugs IN. When i took out the plugs i got 35, i'm pretty sure i did the test wrong. Now that the engine is running i will try and redo the test tomorrow, properly.

The plugs did look clean on prior runs when motor wasn't at full potential, but i didn't check them after this run, will do in the morning.

I didn't think about it being steam, does look like it. It still smells like smoke and seems like smoke except it dissipates like steam. The air temp was about 70-75 but the water in the bucket was coming from a well, really cold, any effect from this?

I'm also at 7500ft with low humidity.

luckynickles

Seaman Apprentice

The smoke isnt bad looking to me as you run it in the water on river ect. It should clean up sitting in a tub theres not enough air around to move the smoke run it on water see what happens

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, will do test run today.

yorab

Ensign

The amount of smoke seems quite normal to me. As luckynickles says, the smoke won't appear so bad when running across the water. I use 50:1 ratio for mine.

BTW, don't go above idle in a barrel because there isn't enough back pressure to keep the motor from "running away". The barrel is good for rough adjustments at idle. Do final tests and adjustments on the water.