1963 Starflite 75hp Ballast Resistor value.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to replace the ballast resistor connected to the ignition coil. Could someone tell what the correct value is?

Can i put MSD blaster 2 with the correct MSD ballast res? Or will this fry the distributor?
MSD puts out 45kv, i read somewhere that the coil i have puts out 30kv.

Thanks guys.

yorab

Ensign
Re: 1963 Starflite 75hp Ballast Resistor value.

I'm not sure because I don't have my manual with me. I believe that the resistance value is specifically written in the FSM wiring diagram. However, I do know that Dan Gano at ganotech.com has the OEM resistor wires because I bought one from him when I recently rebuilt my '63 Starflite. He may have another.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The MSD coil will not harm the distributor. I do not know if you will seee any benefit over the stock coil. Is it specifically made for your application? Is it compatable with your condenser?

The ballast resister is intended to lower the voltage going to the points, to slow down the burning effect on them.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys.

The MSD is not a custom one, it's the standard one you can buy at an auto store for older cars. Reason for it was, it was easier and faster to use AM parts rather than finding OEM resistor pack

I don't know specifically if its compatible but condenser is just a capacitor forming LC circuit with the coil to "hold" charge for the distributor. It probably won't behave the same but will be close, i think.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, I still can't find the resistor value. I have the service manual but cannot find the value in it. can anybody help me. I haver one that is 0.8ohm, di uu guys think this value will work?

yorab

Ensign

Do you have the official FSM? If not, perhaps somebody can comb through their FSM to see if that value is in there. If you do have the official FSM and the value is not in there, then perhaps somebody could measure the resistance for you from the wire on their motor. I'm a half a world away from my boat so I can't help you out with that one. Lastly, if all of that fails, you could find somebody who has the wire in stock and ask if they can measure the resistance for you from their stock wire.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The intent was to get 8VDC on the coil, I believe. Of coure an EE could figure it out using ohm's law.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thats what I needed. I will measure the voltage on the coil using .8 ohm.

I have the manual that I purchased here, for my specific model.

I am an EE so I think i'll be able to figure out the voltage divider :)

Could someone please second what chris said, 8v on the coil?

mucho thanks guys

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, that's its purpose, to reduce voltage to the points. Usually it drops the battery voltage down to 7-8 volts.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Daviet, the reduced voltage keeps the points from burning.