1963 Starcraft Jet restoration

Coach Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or..................Maybe I won't have to tell my boy to sit up at the bow 'til we plane out:rofl:

Seriously though, all I can do is build it the way I want it with out being outrageous with the weight and the distribution thereof, then hope for the best when it's splashed. I have contingencies in mind if I have to shift or lessen some weight. I still have console(s) to build and install yet. I'd love to do twin consoles with a walk through, but not sure I'll have room 'til I mock it up.

Coach Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hit the boat again Sunday. I ordered more epoxy that isn't due to arrive 'til Monday, as I'm not a huge fan of the old timer's formula I tried out. I'm sure it works great, but I just preferred the epoxy after using both. Wasn't really feeling it Sunday physically, but I got a TV for football out there, I figured I could take it easy, and get some small stuff done.

Anyway............Figured I'd sit on my stool and polish up my aluminum trim. Screwed each piece down through the installation holes into my plywood work bench. Here's what I started with - Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and a Mother's PowerBall: View attachment 5g1Rc5Rs3w5oCCr4W40gGl706D8EB7oivipzTcybrdsKeNN1FZuSErO-56QICpmJimxIA26XEfpWBZdc-cuRwiTLKYozAiqHayxT

After 1st polish here's what I found - 54 yrs worth of dings, gouges, and scratches: View attachment cbfocV9zWz2tQm4aMpVTVFc1O0dpgiLvbEOGQNavEeKX5xjnelsGHAB4vlfxX_0FJRq7dfoRcEFdsuax9oWPsRfQ1KXpWZ8HZ9cu

So I started with 120 grit on my random orbiter, followed by 220, 320, then 320 wet, 400 wet, and a Mother's polish again. On the deep gouges I used the 3M abrasive wheel to level them out before the 120 grit. Before and after: View attachment lAec9ORUoFNj_ojP4Xm_4jM5uv_fKCWvQ3iaquJiDlfra2n1smJHAcnuh1Mg10MRrVthD21dfNLsZqYmW34E6wxuY6M1H2AxHhw1

The 2nd & 3rd pieces went quicker of course: View attachment LbukGPkPTrHo8BQW67q-1WfhT1ghwm0MTv6czAxZVVaMEHjo-bhC-BN4OUMlBnmF6D3VrH5TKTrrJV0-Cb_nmixWWnjCFApWqxk0

You can see I still have some fine scratches/scuffs to get out. There's even some depressions you'll see where I removed some deep gouges. I have some 1000 grit wet/dry as my ace in the hole. That Mother's stuff is AWESOME. I think I'll get everything installed and hit it one last time. It'll shine up really nice. I really needed to see something come out shiny and new to keep me motivated.

Finally, I got my last support up at the bow dry fitted in for my front casting deck, and the front casting deck pattern made. Stay tuned.for pics.

Attachments

• 5g1Rc5Rs3w5oCCr4W40gGl706D8EB7oivipzTcybrdsKeNN1FZuSErO-56QICpmJimxIA26XEfpWBZdc-cuRwiTLKYozAiqHayxT
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
  • cbfocV9zWz2tQm4aMpVTVFc1O0dpgiLvbEOGQNavEeKX5xjnelsGHAB4vlfxX_0FJRq7dfoRcEFdsuax9oWPsRfQ1KXpWZ8HZ9cu
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
  • lAec9ORUoFNj_ojP4Xm_4jM5uv_fKCWvQ3iaquJiDlfra2n1smJHAcnuh1Mg10MRrVthD21dfNLsZqYmW34E6wxuY6M1H2AxHhw1
    150.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Coach Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey...... Thanks Winnipeg. I had already checked you out! I'm completely changing mine up from original. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over deadline on my Jet or Jetstar - I aint sure what I have. I do know it's a 1963. Hell or high water she's getting splashed in 2017.

Coach Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well........the money I was waiting on hit, so I sprung for 3 of these:

View attachment IHBpKY5RVdUyNzDIyKg6dG0UPmR3kyDLE5sT7XlO7_DpvJPdzQ-C3LhAcqI6nXncU5BqB7G6YHEHl_f6fbI18t-lQnziGPlkm5sI
Black wheels with Kenda Bias load range C. Got stainless lug nuts and stainless easy lube/bearing buddy center caps with them. Black wheels with chrome accents are all the rage now here at the GMC Buick Garage. Studied up, read some opinions/reviews, considered radials, but the anecdotal evidence seemed to point me to bias tires and the Kenda's. I wasn't gonna pay more for my trailer tires than I would for my vehicle's tires. I'm only trailering local. The 2 tires on my rig now don't hold air and ain't got much tread. Figured I may as well get a matching spare, then I can switch one out every season and get a rotation going.

Also got on iBoats (gotta support the forum!) and bought a bunch of these:

View attachment 9lL0gtXE6rs5vU3vcE61TphDu8evo_YLdaDIuaLvTrqWDZ8sl7f6-wjNUmVc9JIkWoN1CdT0ciCvF4seucn2phQETEQKajsbvl1b
LED toggle switches. They glow white when off, then red when on. I liked the old school/industrial/military look of the toggles. Much easier to cut the holes for install in my custom panel I'm gonna make. Also picked up a push button horn switch, the red rubber cover that goes with it, and some cable through hulls for my transducer, etc. Gotta love that FORUMS5 !

Other than some incidentals I can pick up locally or with 2-day shipping, I pretty much have everything I need to finish her up.

Last edited:

WinnipegJet91

Seaman
Hey...... Thanks Winnipeg. I had already checked you out! I'm completely changing mine up from original. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over deadline on my Jet or Jetstar - I aint sure what I have. I do know it's a 1963. Hell or high water she's getting splashed in 2017.

The only reason I know mine is a Jet is because of the sticker on the transom but also because the Jet had 2 benches and the jet star has sleeper seats. If you have brackets on the hullsides then you have a Jet.