1963 evinrude 18hp fuel pump rebuild?

fireshadow

Cadet
Does any one know which springs go where in a 1963 evinrude 18hp fuel pump. I tried to keep them sorted out but of course they fell out before I could keep track of where they came from. There is two narrow ones, one longer than the other, and one wider that is short. I think the wider one goes on the diaphragm but not sure which side, I think the outer side from the motor. Then which line gets the longer spring the in or the out line. Thanks

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 evinrude 18hp fuel pump rebuild?

Try doing a "search" on this forum. I've seen a diagrahm on here before, but, it was a while ago.

fireshadow

Cadet

Tried to search here and on google all I could find was a old break down of the small square pump. I have the rectangle pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you have the pump that I think you have, you are missing a spring. There should be two for the check valves (both are the same), and one for the side of the diaphragm "away" from the motor. The fourth one goes on the motor side of the diaphragm, in the air dome pocket at the top. I believe the "away" side is longer than the air dome one. Are you missing the cupped support washer for the air dome spring too?

fireshadow

Cadet

It sounds like I am missing one of the check valve springs. The smaller wider spring looks like it was on the motor side of the pump due to color. I will look again and see if I can find the missing spring. I believe the cup washer is attached to the new diaphragm. Does any one know where I can find a replacement spring for the check valve, or can I use a external check valve.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I think I have an exploded view of that pump but am not at home till next week to check. If you still dont have it, PM me on monday.