1962 Merc 60 6hp questions

Merc60down

Recruit
Hi all. Just picked up this Merc 60 as a project motor for me and my daughter to work on for a Jon boat I bought her. It sat for a few years before we got it, but with some work we got it running. I don’t have a lot of experience with older outboards, so please bear with me. I do have a few issues/questions.

On the throttle control, it says shift range. What is this for?

On the rubber stop button, the disk inside to cause the motor to shut down is missing. I’m having a heck of a time tracking one down. And suggestions or home remedies to fix this?

Does anyone have a downloadable version of the users manual for this model? Wonder if it even came with one.

Thank you all in advance!

matt167

Captain
Shift range is the throttle range that it can be shifted into gear without breaking anything. Many parts are NLA for old Mercuries so you'll have to dig for them. A lot is available NOS still

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You slow the engine down to shift range so you're not hammering in/out of gear at too high of rpm. The kill button is just a generic momentary pushbutton with a rubber boot. Check your local auto parts store for something that will work. I've never seen an owners manual for these, fortunately they are simple with their fixed jet carbs there's no adjustments to fiddle with.

Service manual: