1962 Johnson 40Hp

dberry

Cadet
I have just acquired a small fiberglass boat that has been in my family for years. It has a 1962 Johnson 40Hp motor on it. I used to ride this thing a bunch when I was a kid. It was running good when it was stored about 5+ years ago. Is there anything I need to look for first before trying to crank this thing? I am ok on making lawn mowers run but new to outboards.

This is my first boat so any help would be appreciated.

Model: RK-24 L

Attachments

• 0125101224.jpg
    0125101224.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0125101224a.jpg
    0125101224a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0125101225.jpg
    0125101225.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 Johnson 40Hp

I would read through the "Top Secret File" on the first thread of this forum. That will give you lots of tips on awakening a sleeping outboard.:cool:

Pretty nice looking old motor, BTW:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

And it's even got the generator! I wish.

If you've got a compression tester use it to check compression. If it's good, first and foremost do the impeller, they are readily available and are easy to change on that motor. Check for spark on BOTH cylinders as it might not have spark on both, they will run on 1 cylinder. Thermostat is right on the top back in the pic behind the flywheel, they are easy to remove and check to make sure they are working.

If all works out in favour of a running motor change the lower unit oil as well. Once it's up and running check charging voltage to make sure it is still charging the battery.

PS- may need a carb overhaul as well.

dberry

Cadet

Thanks alot for all the info and quick post. Now if only I was off work and outside working on it... that would be better :)

I don't have a compression tester, however I was able to pull the pull start on the motor. It seems to be ok.. atleast I know the cylinders are not seized up.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks alot for all the info and quick post. Now if only I was off work and outside working on it... that would be better :)

I don't have a compression tester, however I was able to pull the pull start on the motor. It seems to be ok.. atleast I know the cylinders are not seized up.

Yup, not locked up is a good thing. They are really good motors IMO, one of my fav 60's motors.

lindy46

Captain

I'd get a compression gauge and make sure it's got 100+psi and even on both cylinders. Do that before spending money on it. If compression is good, ignition parts, carb kit, impeller, and seals can be renewed for less than $200, if you do it yourself.

dberry

Cadet

I'd get a compression gauge and make sure it's got 100+psi and even on both cylinders. Do that before spending money on it. If compression is good, ignition parts, carb kit, impeller, and seals can be renewed for less than $200, if you do it yourself.

Thanks, I do not have a compression tester, but I think compression should be fine. I will try to crank it this weekend and see how it goes. Isn?t there some sort of water hose hook up I need to buy? Or do I have to set the motor in a big drum of water to crank it?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks, I do not have a compression tester, but I think compression should be fine. I will try to crank it this weekend and see how it goes. Isn?t there some sort of water hose hook up I need to buy? Or do I have to set the motor in a big drum of water to crank it?

It needs to be submersed, no muffs on this motor.

dberry

Cadet

And it's even got the generator! I wish.

If you've got a compression tester use it to check compression. If it's good, first and foremost do the impeller, they are readily available and are easy to change on that motor. Check for spark on BOTH cylinders as it might not have spark on both, they will run on 1 cylinder. Thermostat is right on the top back in the pic behind the flywheel, they are easy to remove and check to make sure they are working.

If all works out in favour of a running motor change the lower unit oil as well. Once it's up and running check charging voltage to make sure it is still charging the battery.

PS- may need a carb overhaul as well.

Over the past couple of weekends I decided to put new carpet in the boat and fix the interior... Now I have come back to the motor... I took off the lower casing on the motor to try and locate where the impeller would go. I cannot seem to find it.
You say on this motor it is easy to change. Can I get any guidance from you at all on how and where to find the impeller to change it out before I try to crank?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oh no, don't tell me--you were looking for the impeller in the gearcase, right? You need to invest in a service manual. The Seloc manual sold here at iboats is adequate for your use.

dberry

Cadet

Yea, as I said before this is my first Outboard.... I was able to locate the impeller. No service manual for my motor on iboats but I did find one on ebay

dberry

Cadet

Just a Update... Got the Impeller problem resolved and got the motor running this weekend. Runs like a champ.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those are great motors and are very co-operative when bringing them back to life. Have fun with it.:D:D

staceracer

Recruit

Can anyone tell me what boat Dusty is using for an avatar? It's white and red, my uncle had one! I'm dying to learn make and model. See photos:
v1-p59.jpg

Stace

dberry

Cadet

Can anyone tell me what boat Dusty is using for an avatar? It's white and red, my uncle had one! I'm dying to learn make and model. See photos:
v1-p59.jpg

Stace

I wish i could help you. The bill of sale said lonestar, but i think that was made up. I have since then sold the boat.

staceracer

Recruit

I wish i could help you. The bill of sale said lonestar, but i think that was made up. I have since then sold the boat.

Thanks Dusty,

You don't happen to recall the name on the emblem attached to side of hull near stern? Or, can you recommend someone I should contact? Maybe I'll just repost under new topic.

Doesn't appear to be a Lonestar, logo isn't correct. I've looked at every photo and brochure online at Fiber-Glassics with no luck. Did find a photo one in a junk yard, but the elliptical shaped logo on the hull near rear stern was missing. Very unique clapboard looking pattern embossed on sides of hull toward stearn.

Very nice boat you had. I'll let you know when/if I identify this boat.

Stace

staceracer

Recruit

I just discovered who maker of my uncle's boat was. Company formerly known as Span America. But, this was a newer 1965/66 Span "Buccaneer" 15 footer. Span America Boat Co. was in Red Wing, MN and ended in 1962. It was sold and became Span Boats in 1963-64 and was made by Rice Lake Boat Co. in Rice Lake, WI. There was an attempt to revive line a few years ago but never took off.

Spanb66007.jpg

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

This thread was helpful to me, as I just bought a tri-hull, and has a Gale (johnson/evinrude) 1962 40HP. Sure enough going through everything the coil was cracked, just like another guy here said! And like this post, "Less than 200 bucks" was right! Coil was 30, points/tune up kit 30, and I'm finally getting spark in BOTH cylindars now! Just goes to show you watchin other peoples threads can solve your own in a jiffy!! Thanks to all who post!!! This site is AWESOME!