1962 gale sovereign 40hp

munch

Seaman Apprentice
What should my compression reading be?
What is normal RPM?
Can you install a modern day tech. to this motor?
does anyone know where I can get a manual and parts book?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 gale sovereign 40hp

1. Within 10% of each other and I dunno, around 100psi or so. It was never published
2. 400-5000 RPM
3. No. Except for something like a Tiny Tach that runs off a spark plug wire
4. Right here at iboats

munch

Seaman Apprentice

thanks.
one more thing.
what are the valves beside the spark plugs for?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Compression relief valves to make it easier to pull the recoil starter. And by the way, if you are doing the comprsssion test by using the recoil starter you will get false readings unless you disable them.

bassmastervip

Recruit

hello I don't have a clue how to post threads or what ever but i do have a question on a gale sovereign 40 hp motor. On the left side of the motor there is a divise with a white wire in the center that has a lead wire and a wire goes uop under the flywheel to what looks like a micro switch, it also has a black lead wire coming off of the lower corner. could someone enlighten me as to what this is and what power is hooked up to it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You're hi-jacking someone else's thread...and your other one has already been answered. Start a new thread when you want to post...poor form...passing on the right.

Willyclay

Captain

Munch, I have a non-factory service manual that covers your motor. It is saved in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). If you will send me your email address in a Private Message, I will reply back to you with a copy of the manual attached. Sorry, but I don't have a parts manual. Good luck!