1962 custom craft resto

Dirtyjersey

Cadet
Re: 1962 custom craft resto

I got the cap off yesturday. Havent been able to do anything else to it due to rain and work. Will be able to get the rest of the transom and floor out this weekend hopefully. And get some more pics for you guys. Im going to have to make a new edge around the boat where it goes together. Its all cracked and broken from all the rivits and screws they put in. Ill get some pics of that too will probably need some input in that too. Also a question on the deck. It has a curved deck. Should i try and put the curve back in or just do a flat deck. And ill het pics of that too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any progress is a good thing. Make a plan and stick to it!!!

Dirtyjersey

Cadet

Haha. Tryin to stick to it. May plan keeps changeing the further i go. I keep finding more bad fiberglass. I couldnt just do the floor i have to the sides too. And i have to do a complete transome. The fiberglass on the outside of the transom is cracked down the sides haha. Im still haveing fun though.

Dirtyjersey

Cadet

Has anybody everseen sticngers that were molded in the boat. My stringers dont have any wood inside at all. And its not like the wood rotted away. There pretty clean inside.

jbcurt00

Staff member

My 1960 FireFlite has no wooden cores for the stringers as well.

As long as they are well bonded to the hull, and aren't damaged, leave them & count yourself lucky. You just jumped 2 steps ahead w/ zero work :watermelon:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Tagging along if there's room !
You can fix the fiberglass on the out side of the transom so do not cut it out .. Some boats are made with hollow stringers . You should get a free photobucket account . It makes posting pics much easier .
Cool little runabout ! :cool:

Dirtyjersey

Cadet

How do i fix the fiberglass on the outside of the transom. Id rather not cut it out if i dont have too. I can take pics tommorow of where its cracked and post them.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is there deflection at the crack, or is it still aligned? Grind the interior back to a taper on both sides of the crack & glass over it before you put the transom in. Once the plywood is installed, grind & taper the exterior back, layup glass to repair the crack. Fill & fair before final prep. Polyester resin if you plan to gelcoat the transom skin..