1961 19ft Bellboy

Easton24

Recruit
I purchased a Bellboy from a buddies family to help with funeral expenses, with the thought of refurbishing it. I ended up having a kid shortly after and being a first time father, overestimated the amount of extra time and money I would have available to get it done. With that I am now trying to figure out if it's worth anything, or if I should just scrap it and take the loss. Any helpful pointers, or info anyone can provide so I don't make the mistake of getting rid of this piece of history in an insulting way?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even w/out pix, there is no real 'worth it' w 99.9% of old boats, esp abandoned project boats, they are simply old.

Motor & trailer might have some value but are typically given away to 'convince' someone else to take the boat too.

It is not a 1961 Vette that just needs some cleanup.

Unless you find someone whose family had 1 & they want that particular boat, maybe, but those are hard folks to find.

Otherwise it's heaps of work, effort, time & money and in the end you're likely to spend 5X what it's worth once rehab'd. Even factory correct restos only have a very slim appeal.

Live near an AOMCI meet or vintage boat club? Might find 1 of those hens teeth fellas thats gotta have it.

Else post it as a give away. Unless motor runs great,.

You could also strip it for parts & part it out on craigs or ebay. There's virtually zero market w/in 100mi of me, for vintage parts, so parts sales was a lot of work for little $. YMMV

Easton24

Recruit
Even w/out pix, there is no real 'worth it' w 99.9% of old boats, esp abandoned project boats, they are simply old.

Motor & trailer might have some value but are typically given away to 'convince' someone else to take the boat too.

It is not a 1961 Vette that just needs some cleanup.

Unless you find someone whose family had 1 & they want that particular boat, maybe, but those are hard folks to find.

Otherwise it's heaps of work, effort, time & money and in the end you're likely to spend 5X what it's worth once rehab'd. Even factory correct restos only have a very slim appeal.

Live near an AOMCI meet or vintage boat club? Might find 1 of those hens teeth fellas thats gotta have it.

Else post it as a give away. Unless motor runs great,.

You could also strip it for parts & part it out on craigs or ebay. There's virtually zero market w/in 100mi of me, for vintage parts, so parts sales was a lot of work for little $. YMMV
Thank you for the info, may have bitten of more than anticipated! Appreciate your input.

briangcc

Commander
I'd say it all depends and only you can decide if it's worthy of a restore...

IF you're not in a rush to get on the water, have an understanding admiral (wife/s.o.), and like the boat, it could be a project for yourself. It may take longer BUT you can piecemeal it as funds and time allow. Who knows...you may actually take a liking to the classic lines of the boat.

I wouldn't expect to make $$$$$ flipping it though as boats, with certain exceptions, generally aren't equivalent to older cars. What you end up with after restoring an older boat is....an old restored boat.