1960 Johnson 60 hp wiring question

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I am in the process of doing a resto/repair on a 1967 Larson All American 16 footer with a 1967 Johnson 60 hp outboard. The model # is VXL-13A.

My question is this. Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I might be able to purchase a complete engine side wiring harness for this engine? Or would it be more feasible to reconstruct the one on the engine currently?

The one on there now is in terrible condition and is not usable for anything more then something to reference while build a new one or to compare to a new one.

I will take a pic shortly and post it here for you to see if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance you can provide.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 Johnson 60 hp wiring question

Just wondering if anyone else that might own this engine is having a hard time finding even a wiring diagram for it. It seems to me that this motor is kind of an odd ball I guess. I can't seem to find anything related to this motor in specific, but I see stuff for the 80 hp same year and so on. Am I looking for something that does not exist? I did order a service manual in which it should be covered, Guess I will have to wait to see when I get it.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for the late pics. I have so much going on with the boat I completely forgot to upload them until now.

009 (3).jpg010 (2).jpg011 (2).jpg008 (3).jpg

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1959 50 HP Super Sea Horse "Fat Fifty". My wires were the same condition. What I did is take the wiring harness off from where it enters the motor cowling to every terminal. I dug down into the "plug" until I found good wire. Then I ran all new wires with heat shrink tubing around all connections. Once all that was done, I laid the harness down in the way the wires will run when installed and coated the plug end and the bases of all wires with liquid electrical tape. About 3 coats should do it. Keep in mind not to get the plug too big in any direction so that it will not go back into place easily. After it dries check all the wires for continuity and your good to go.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks 59 Fatty. I will most likely be doing as you did and rebuilding it myself. There just doesn't seem to be any reproductions out there that I can find. Some are close but I would need to alter anyway, so might as well just build it. Thanks again for the reply, It is very much appreciated.