1960 Johnson 40 hp (RDS-22) Carb Questions

kojimep

Cadet
Been reading the forums for a number of years but finally found a question I cannot seem to fully answer by searching.

I have a recently acquired a 1960 Johnson 40hp motor, model number RDS-22, on a new to me boat. So far it has ran great with no issues, I am just trying to learn all I can in the event that I do start having problems.

The main thing I can't quite figure out so far is about carb adjustments. Nearly everything I can find online talks about adjusting the high and low speed circuits, but it appears that I only 1 adjustment know, the low speed circuit, and where the high speed adjuster should be near the bottom is just a bolt head? I have attached a picture of the carb on the motor for clarity. I have seen a single reference that the RDS-22 may have a fixed jet high speed circuit, is that what I have?

Finally, am I correct in determining that the only way to adjust the idle of the motor is by adjusting the nylon screw at the base of the handle on the port side of the motor.

Thank you for any help you may have.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yes, if it has a plug it has a fixed high speed jet. You are also correct about the idle adjust.