1960 Gale 35 water pump

tgmarlow

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />Well, I replaced my water pump - impeller and housing, and gave her a test run.<br /><br />My question is - how can I tell if it is actually pumping water?<br />What should I be seeing out of the exhaust?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />-Tom

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 Gale 35 water pump

Hi Tom,<br /> You should be getting a good gush of water spraying out of the thumb-sized hole/exhaust relief port in the back of the motor leg... Something akin to a faucet without an aerator...<br />- Scott

tgmarlow

Cadet

Thanks for the help.<br />Unfortunately, I am not seeing that gush (or any) water running out of the engine, and it is getting hot.<br />Here's my situation:<br />I replaced the impeller and housing, checked the passage in the lower unit - looked good, i could see light and feel air blown through.<br />I blew air through the copper water up-pipe and felt it coming through at the exhaust (thumb sized hole).<br />I also manually blew air through so see if there was any resistance, and also stuck a wire up the copper tube and up around the exhaust hole.<br /><br />Any ideas on what i can do to get som water flow?<br /><br />Thanks guys,<br /><br />Tom

tgmarlow

Cadet

Here's a thought:<br />Is it possible the water level in the tub I'm running the morot in is not high enough?<br />I have the level up over the water intake fin, but the entire lower unit is not submerged.<br /><br />could this be the problem?<br /><br />-Tom

tgmarlow

Cadet

I'm feeling a little stupid on this one.<br />I believe i'll be checking on that impeller in the morning.

CATransplant

Admiral

When you check, make sure the little key is in place that drives the impeller, and make sure you have enough water in the tub. Up an inch or two above the AV plate above the prop. It makes a difference.<br /><br />Also, make sure the arms of the impeller are curved in the right direction. The drive shaft turns clockwise, so the blades should drag in the housing, not push.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

CATransplant just suggested what I was going to. I actually ended up with a very messed up engine because my son failed to get the water tube installed in the water pump of a lower unit...make sure it's in the right place!!!! You could push a hose pipe up to the water tube to make sure water is circulating and coming out the exhaust ... just my .02