1960 Evinrude Big Twin 40hp Restoration.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude Big Twin 40hp Restoration.

thats great david, i would like to hear back on the progress on the motor, and the boat resto!

David Hendry

Cadet

I have got her running. Carb rebuild, New plugs and new coils. And a new impeller. Yippee

jeyre1

Recruit

I have the same engine and am experiencing problems. I'm not a great mechanic, but can get myself around the engine if I need to. I took mine to the only shop in town that will work on old engines. I've had it in and out of their shop pretty much all summer. They were able to get it running nicely, but it is very inconsistent. It starts right up and will idle and run in low revs forever, but it it will not get up to full throttle, (I've never got the boat to plane on the water despite being a very light boat). Also if I kill the engine getting it re-started is a solid 10 to 15 minutes of yanking on the pull rope and praying.

The shop tells me it is because the carburetor is old and pitted. They rebuilt it, but because of the pitting they say it will never be consistent. They said if I could find a new carburetor for this engine that was pretty much the only way to fix it. (they said they looked and could not find one anywhere) Their recommendation if I could not find a new carburetor was to junk it because it is not fixable.

Any suggestions?

lindy46

Captain

Do you have spark on both cylinders? If it idles good, but doesn't get up to full speed, it's usually because you're running on one cylinder. Probably a bad coil. If your motor has good compression it is fixable, so don't junk it.