1960 big twin 40 hand starter problem

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice
hello all I just aquired the above motor and it didnt have the pull starter,so I purchased one off ebay the rope and spring work fine but the paws(i think) wont engage the dog on top of the fly wheel it seems they get stuck between the nylon bush and the spindle and dont come out far enough when the rope is pulled.Is their a washer between the two to allow them to slide between them that is missing any ideas appreciated cheers.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1960 big twin 40 hand starter problem

Hey man, thanks for the reply on my post.

Figured I'd check yours out too. Have you looked at the manuals at http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html ? It's the cats meow, has many models and makes covered and it's free. I have a Big Twin 40 from 1968 and found out there are 3 types of my type of recoil starter so it's possible you got the wrong one maybe?

Check it out and good luck !

J

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply Big Jay,yes I saw that as well, one has the return springs and the other hasnt, I bought that doesnt but the thing on top of the flywheel is the same. After pulling mine apart the pin on the bottom of the spindle was broken that goes into a hole on the plate.I am hoping replacing that may make it work properly if not I will use an electric drill and socket to turn it over and check compression to see if it is worth continuing to fix it only cost me 35 dollars for it so it may make an awesome mailbox with the pull down flap that accesses the pull start handle. ha ha cheers.

lindy46

Captain

There is a friction spring which has to ride on the shoulder of the spindle. If it has slipped off the spindle, the pawls wont flip out when you pull the rope.

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

thanks commander can you see the friction spring when it is put together or is it under the spindle cheers.

lindy46

Captain

You have to remove the spindle to get to it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Like this:

Attachments

• Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

okay the starter I have doesnt mention the friction spring it has a nylon bush with a wavy washer and the spindle with the pin on the bottom and a friction disc on top that the bolt goes through.I think the nylon bush is missing some lugs which are supposed to go into the grooves on the spindle must have worn away so replacing the pin and bush may take some tracking down.It is the starter without return springs.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you ever solve this issue?