1960 300 water pump cartridge?

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have a 1960 merc 300 (35 hp) When we pulled the boat for this season (Ohio) we found a little water in the lower unit.

A little background: purchased the boat/motor early in the spring after it sat for 14 years. (some water in the lower unit) Feeling that the water pump impeller had to be shot, we replaced the impeller and upper seal. Ran the boat all season without any problems.

Now we feel that the lower seal or o-ring below the pump insert has to be bad or maybe the prop shaft seals. We purchase a OEM manual for this engine and it looks like a nightmare to remove the water pump cartridge/insert to get to the seal and o-ring without destroying the parts.

Questions: Has anyone here dived into this area of repair? Can the pump cartridge be removed without damage? Suggestions?

Thanks for any replies, Tom @ Buckeye Lake

PS; Not our regular usage boat, just an antique to play with.

mr 88

Commander
Re: 1960 300 water pump cartridge?

I would suggest pressure testing to see where it is leaking.All your doing now is guessing.MityVac makes a cheap unit for vacuum/pressure testing.Then re-post with exact problem.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

And, if you're going to replace the one seal, might as well replace them all. Check shafts for pitting, too. Complete disassembly of the unit sounds like a lot, but it actually makes removing the waterpump cartridge MUCH easier as it comes out with the driveshaft...

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the feed-backs. I gues I should have thought of pressure testing, good idea.

I don't have a problem with pulling the prop shaft unit. I have repaired a few others, but not with this type of water pump setup.

I have found a few cartridge units on the net, but it looks like the stainless steel pump liner is not included with it. The two parts are a little high on price. The liner is twice the price of the cartridge. If I can get the cartridge out without damage, I'll just replace the seals and o-rings in both units. The engine has never been disassembled this far. We bought the Starflite and engine from the family that bought it new in 1960.

Again, Thanks, Tom SE Ohio

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had to replace the cartridge on my 1960 merc this past summer. IT TAKES A SPECIAL TOOL to remove the cartridge without breaking it. This tool slides over the drive shaft and then locks into the cartridge and pulls it up and out sorta like a gear puller.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rivermouse, May I ask where you found the pump cartridge/liner and the price?

I pulled the lower unit this morning after the ice had melted off the tarp. It's in the garage ready to pressure test, but I'll wait for a warmer day. 28' here this AM.

Tom SE Ohio

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, We got the pump cartridge out. I didn't do the "clamp driveshaft in vice" thing that the repair manual suggested. I used a bearing puller clamped into the o-ring groove, just below the powerhead spline. Then using a heavy piece of brass with a hole in it, used it like a slide hammer to pull the shaft/cartridge/bearing unit. Went to town, ordered seals from local bearing supplier. They just called this morning and said the seals are here. They gave us the o-rings as an early Christmas present.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad you got it out. Mine was a bear to remove. The little shop I found charged me a hundred bucks for the seals, and cartridge with liner and 2 hours labor. I guess I was lucky