1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
have you thought of moving the helm outside the cabin, man I freaking love this boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it!!!:D;) I think you're WAY GOOD TO GO!!! Heck I bet you could use the White School House glue and get by. I remember a Long time ago Elmers use to run an ad where they would glue two 2x12's together using plain ole' Elmers white glue and then make a diving board out of em and have some big ole' 200 pound guy bounce up and down on it and dive into a pool. Then they'd stress break the thing and it would break the wood and NOT the joint. I figure if the White glue would do that, way back then...The stuff they make nowadays has got to be way better. and besides, as much resin and glass as we put on it and as much care as we're gunna give these boats after all the work we've done on em, I don't figure there's much of a chance they'll see much water penetration for quite some time.

Last edited:

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Agreed WOG, This transom will last for MANY years, especially with only a single outboard and a good finish. BTW, what do you have against us #200+ guys? :lol:

have you thought of moving the helm outside the cabin, man I freaking love this boat
I actually like the helm all enclosed, I know it would not be too hard to do. But I think it looks better this way and will probably be more practical, the ceiling is high enough to where I (6 foot 2) can get in comfortably.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Agreed WOG, This transom will last for MANY years, especially with only a single outboard and a good finish. BTW, what do you have against us #200+ guys? :lol:
Nothing...I LIKE skinny guys!!! I haven't seen 200# since I was 30 yrs old!!!:eek:

Last edited:

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
im sure im down south I forget everyone doesn't have it as hot as we do, is the cabin large enough to camp in

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing...I LIKE skinny guys!!! I haven't seen 200# since I was 30 yrs old!!!:eek:

^^^ :lol: :lol: ^^^

Too funny WOG, yeah been about 260 here since I was 30ish. But I hide it well being 6 04.

I agree with leaving the helm where it is, part of the ole gals sweet charm!

Luke000

I got my transom all cut up and drilled today, all the screw holes from gluing have been filled with G-flex epoxy. The hole locations had no real rhyme or reason to their locations, some were off from the other ones by an inch or more. So I took the old transom and clamped it on the new one and used it as a drill jig.
The locations of all the holes are definitely specific to the boat you have. I would get the transom made and cut to the dimension and then mock it up in the boat to find the location of all the holes. If your boat at one time did have a splash well, there will be two 1 inch diameter holes for a drain.

​

And here are some drawings I made of it, the first is the dimensions of the board and the second is approximate location and size of the holes.

Last edited:

Luke000

Well I have not done much work on the actual boat in a few weeks. I measured for new floor boards, but that is about it. But last weekend I was at an estate sale at an old house, the guy was very wealthy and a hoarder who liked tools and boat stuff. I went and picked up a new (used) Stihl chainsaw with a 32 inch bar as well as a 10 inch everett abrasive chop saw. I went back on the final hour of the sale and went into the boat house to find two items I have been wanting and unable to afford- so I made a VERY lowball offer.... long story short- I walked away with a 70HP Evinrude and a Miller AEAD gas drive welder! The Evinrude was on a pallet buried underneath some rope and boards. I got the stuff home that night and the next day I built up my outboard stand I made for my last project to take a long shaft motor, set the evinrude on there and gave it a test run! 132-134 PSI in the cylinders, spark, a replaced lower unit. The motor starts and kinda runs (surges), needs the carbs rebuilt and the PO recently replaced the fuel lines but they leak so those will have to get done. otherwise it just needs some basic mechanical work and it will be good to go! Cosmetically its pretty rough but that is just incentive for me to repaint it! The only other dow side to the motor is a lack of power trim/tilt witch I was really dead set on getting but this motor was so cheep and is in such good mechanical shape I think I am just going to deal with it :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^

And if you look around, I'd be you can find a factory tilt & trim bracket that fits that motor. An 18ft El Dorado, even though it's a lightweight aluminum boat, would definitely benefit from having T&T on a 70hp outboard. Esp since you grabbed it at a bargain price. You've got plenty of time to look for T&T priced right while you work on the boat.

Always being on the look out is good ;)

Congrats

Luke000

Is this the kind of bracket I would need? I think my motor is a '71, this one says for '84-'86, would it work or do I need one specifically for my year? And also would I need to get new controls with a switch or could I just do an external switch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-JOHNSON...p2054897.l4275

One thing that makes me want to go this method is my motor currently does not want to tilt manually.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Solly Cholly that one will NOT work on your motor!!! Why does your motor not want to tilt? Got pics?? Whats the Model# on your Motor?

Last edited:

Luke000

Well I went out into my garage to check out the motor and I gave it a good pull and it DID tilt afterall. I think it just needed more of a yank than I was giving it. The model number is E70ELCNB and the serial number is C7142484. What do I need in the way of a power T/T unit?

Luke000

here is the tilt area:

And this is the corroded/ frozen pin....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh Ok, Spray the heck out of it with WD-40 and lightly tap on it and spray some more and tap some more etc... Vice Grip it and twist it etc... You'll eventually get it out. I tore mine completely down and redid it all. Hang on a bit and I'll get you the Part # for your T&T!!

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Threw me for a loop when you said OB was a 1971.... I thought at least late 70's but more likely early 80's, so I was worried I'd given ya a bad idea. But looks like WOG's got ya covered.

$400 T&T makes a GREAT xmas gift.... ;)

You might keep looking, they do come up on ebay occasionally, or a blown motor w/ good T&T..... Like I said, keep watching while you work on the boat. But if the $400 one @ebay is possible after saving a bunch on the OB, make sure it fits & Buy It Now...........

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Or not bother with other peoples used stuff and go with a CMC tnt like I did for my SN. If for any reason you decide to go up in HP then you're covered as the CMC unit I got will go up to 130 HP.

Oh yeah and that trust bar is easily replaced too, I wouldn't reuse that one once you get it free.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The CMC units ARE nice!!! However...they are Priceeeeee!!! If I recall they run around $550 - $850 depending on what you get. Again VERY NICE units and since you got the motor cheap it IS something to consider. GREAT CALL Waterman!!!

Luke000

WOG, thank you for your help with my engine! I think I am going to keep my eyes open for a T/T unit for less than $300, that would be about my max I could spend. What would I use for a switch/controls for the T/T? Would I need to get a new throttle or is there some sort of external switch?