1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Awsome job Luke. Pat yourself on the back for a job more than well done. MBS from someone your age is going to be dangerous. You will need your own marina by the time your 30. Enjoy the rest of the season she looks great on the water.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Fantastic work Luke! The old LS looks even better on the water! :thumb:

Floats like a cork and I bet planes very quickly too. Glad to see that the motor issue was resolved, those old motors can be a pain every now and then but are very reliable once the issues get ironed out.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad you got her in the water Luke, Mine came off and went back on the trailer real easy what did you think of yours? Hope you get a few more days on the water this year i have had mine out 4 times so far,, soon back to the shop for more improvements on mine i am sure i will have a few more questions for you and all the other great folks on here..

FISH ON !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, here's a well deserved award!!!! She's a Beaut!!!!

iBoatsSplash.jpg

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
I was out on the boat the other day on a Tuesday afternoon and this guy came up on a dingy, he told me that his dad owned the same boat back in 1960 and had it for years, we talked about some of the memories of the boat and it turned out that even though the boat was long gone, he still had the OE canvas cover in his garage! I was a little skeptical but we traded numbers and yesterday I went over to his house and sure enough he unfolds this big old canvas (with authentic old canvas smell) and on one side you could still make out the outline of the boat including the hand rails on the roof. A little while later I was the proud new owner! For being over 55 years old it is still in great shape. This should be a really nice and work a lot better than the 5 tarps I am using now.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Absolutely fantastic work!!!

After reading all the posts, I feel like I just finished reading a great book.

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
Very cool boat. Gives me motivation. Thanks for the nice write up!

Mark72233

Ensign
Luke, congrats on Splash of the Year. You started your project the same time I started mine and I was always tuning into yours because I loved the age and style and class of your boat. All the projects were great and I was proud and honored to even be on the list. Much deserved on your recognition.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the win Luke ! I love that you took the time to bring a piece of our history back and return it to it's former glory !! It's such a cool boat and it looks like it's already serving you well ! Enjoy the fruits of your labor !
Time to start looking for the next project now ! :D

Watermann

Well deserved win Luke! Sure glad I was able to follow along for the whole ride, you did some fantastic work :thumb:

Luke000

Thank you everyone! I am honored to have won this award. When I looked at the other nomenies, I knew it was going to close , as everyone did great work!!

I can't wait to use the boat when the lake unfreezes, and just sit back and enjoy the finished product. I could not have turned her out without everyone here at the forum.

And once again thank you for the award! The next boat project is found and is waiting is turn in line. I probably won't be in the running for 2017 SOTY but 2018 is possible. I hope to have my own place by then and really do some work. Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has in store for the community and watching others projects come together.

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats Luke, your boat really turned out nice! I followed along the whole time and enjoyed all the updates. Really cool to have fixed that old boat and made it better than it was originally! Congrats on the award.

Frey

Luke000

Happy 4th of July everyone! Can't get more American than spending it on the water in a Lone*Star with apple pie!

Watermann

Yeah Luke, PB has wiped out all our linked photos they hosted and replaced it with those ugly meters. I've started replacing my thread photos after moving them from PB to MS OneDrive and reposting the linked photos. HUGE PITA!

Luke000

Quick bit of housekeeping, I was preparing to start replacing the linked photos in this thread, that at one point were taken hostage by Photobucket :lock1:, But I did just notice that they seem to be up again, I just hope someone can confirm they can see the pictures in this thread.