1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration

Nice work,
That's one of the nice thing about glass, it can be fixed. I can't wait to see this thing in the water and looking like it use too.
great project.
Bob

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Andrew, Just a warning for your stringers -- if you're talking baout using that sheet foam from teh box stores, poly will eat through it. Not too sure about epoxy, but I would assume it would also eat through it...

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not too sure about epoxy, but I would assume it would also eat through it...

Epoxy is fine with most foams. It is the Styrene in the Poly that causes problems. If in doubt, though, you can always do a test!

andgott

Some reinforcing work on the transom this morning. First, I had to get it CLEAN... The area between the transom and the louvers was a 'void'- It was supposed to be sealed off, but water had gotten in there over time. There was a lot of dirt and discoloration-

1012TsomStart.jpg

In order for the epoxy to bond well, It all needs to be cleaned up. I use a nylon abrasive brush on a drill- It's really handy for getting in to tight spots like this. It looks much better after some work-

1012TsomRdy.jpg

The plan is to reinforce the weak spots inside the louvers. This is not a structural area- it is purely decorative- so it wasn't built that heavily to begin with. Some areas have cracked a bit, and the cracks will be filled from the inside. Then, I'll use glass tape to provide strength all around the edges. In areas where the joints are 'extereme'- as in a 90 degree angle, I'll use a fillet to 'ease' the edge a bit. The whole bottom of the louver has a 90 degree joint, and it has proven to be a weak point- It cracked on one side.

After a bit of work with some epoxy & microballoon filler, then some 3" glass tape-

1012TsomDone.jpg

This will be MUCH stronger than it was originally. This is probably all overkill, but I don't want to EVER have to do this again!

I may fill the void area using some expanding foam, though I don't think I really need to. It's only about 1/2" deep back there.

Next up will be repairing the damaged areas of the transom. Since some of the outer skin is missing, I'll have to build a form on the outside, and laminate new skin on. The form will also hold the correct shape of the transom, and keep everything in place as I lay the new glass on the inside to fix the cracks.

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As always, oustanding craftsmanship and well thought out. Hey you could always squirt some GREAT STUFF in there!!!!!:eek::p:D:facepalm:

andgott

Hey you could always squirt some GREAT STUFF in there!!!!!:eek::p:D:facepalm:

Well- The thought had actually crossed my mind!! Its a VERY shallow area, and it's above the waterline- A firm foam would be the ideal filler material for it... That 'big gap' filler foam is pretty tough stuff. I need such a tiny amount of filler, And it would be next to impossible to use a 'pour in'. Oh well- Maybe I'll just leave it alone :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Heck, in this ONE case, Just this ONE, it might be acceptable to do it. I'm anal too, and I worry that without proper backing it might flex again and crack and allow water penetration. Again, I'd prolly use PB and say to heck with the extra lb or two it would add to the stern. But that's just me.

andgott

Again, I'd prolly use PB and say to heck with the extra lb or two it would add to the stern. But that's just me.

Yeah, I don't think that I'm going to worry about it... With the new glass laminated in there, It's a lot stronger than it was. I COULD always mix up a batch of epoxy and thicken it with some microballoons- It's wouldn't be all that heavy.....

BobsGlasstream

Commander

My only concern (and it may not be worth writing) would be all that air space between the louvers. I just think about moisture getting in there and ruining all your good work. This might be one of those times I would wrap the transom in glass prior to installation.
Still a cool project
Bob

andgott

Yes- There is ALWAYS a chance of water intrusion. It's clear that water has been in there before, probably from the cracks... I don't anticipate any water ever getting in there again, especially after the repairs, but it's a boat, after all. Water will be a big part of it's life ;)

The transom will be completely encapsulated in epoxy anyway- I have NO plan to ever redo it. EVER.

-Andrew

andgott

I got the area that I had to cut out of the transom repaired today. First, though, I needed something outside the hull to support the fiberglass when I lay it inside the boat... I used a piece of MDF- I drilled two holes in the transom, and used through bolts to hold the mold in place-

1013TrsomMldIn.jpg

1013Mldoutside.jpg

I taped waxed paper to the MDF so the epoxy wouldn't stick. Once it was in place, I taped the waxed paper to the bottom of the boat, to catch anything that drips through.

Then, I added a couple layers of cloth-

1013TsomGlasd.jpg

I am trying to build up thickness here, so this area is about the same thickness as the existing glass on the transom. I 'feathered' the edges of the existing glass, and overlapped the layers of new glass, until it was close. I'll probably have to grind it down a bit. After this cures, I'll be putting a layer of 1708 Biaxial cloth across the entire transom, to tie it all together and add some strength.

I MIGHT just get some wood in there before the weekend ;)

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Lookin Good!!!! How's it look from the outside??

andgott

Lookin Good!!!! How's it look from the outside??

Thanks- I won't know until I take of the form, probably in the morning. I'm sure it'll need a little fairing compound :)

andgott

No work done today- I had to go pick up the NEXT project... My 1959 (or so) VOLKSBOAT-

Vb.jpg

And, An 'artists rendering' of what it should look like when it's done- (Don't laugh too hard, I'm the artist :) )

VBlines.jpg

That trailer that it's on will be for the Lake N Sea- It's a 1959 Tee nee...

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK,
That is just to cool.
I'll bet that thing will fly with a pretty small engine too.
What size is it rated for?
I won't laugh at all, it looks great to me.
Great project again.
My wife would kill me. LOL
Bob

andgott

The company recommended 25 HP max- But also stated that there were people racing them with 45 HP... And getting 60+ MPH. There is NO WAY I'd put that kind of power on there, though- I'm not suicidal!

I'm thinking somewhere in the 10-15 HP range is more appropriate....

-Andrew

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was showing my dad the other day your other project and these new ones and the question came up what does he do with the donors?