1959 Johnson Seahorse 10HP QD-20

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you have the shift rod disconnected and the bolts out, nothing else is holding it. Unless. Unless the last guy left that 10 cent o-ring off the top end of the drive shaft and the drive shaft splines have welded (rusted) themselves into the crankshaft. If that is the case, you have a problem ranging somewhere between minor and hopeless. Go ahead and force it off and see what results.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yes you will have extra parts in the kit.

Replace the needle packing as well to prevent air and fuel leaks.

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oldboat1, you were exactly right! The flywheel wasn't torqued down properly. In fact, I think I totally forgot to tighten it all. I guess I was too excited to add the fuel and start it. The key WAS sheared!!! I'll order a new one for $8 and do the other requested items (clean carb, re-set and clean points, new spark plugs and replace impeller and possibly LU seals).

CPW

I recommend you check the flywheel keyway and the tapered mounting hole for damage. I have a '64 9.5 that was fine for years, but after some work it started shearing keys. Turned out the keyway was worn, and I had to replace the flywheel. (Found a used one on eBay that worked perfectly.) It only takes a second of running with a badly torqued flywheel nut to do some damage.