1959 evinrude big twin 35hp

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
Took boat out first time this season. Rebuilt water pump new plugs and cleaned carb. With 15 min of running over heated. Did notice no water coming out back. This motor has Ben sitting for 20+ years since my grandpa used it last. As far as I know it is a square top not round and square top motors don't have thermostates. Need some advice one what to do and where to look for problem. One person told me to take lower unit off and try holding garden hose on copper water inlet and see if water comes out. Any thoughts thanks.
Todd

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 evinrude big twin 35hp

Was it on a boat in the water or in a barrel when you tested it? The water has to be really high in a barrel in order for it to pump right.
If you have to drop the lower end, check to see that the rubber grommet on top of the fuel pump is OK and not folded over, and make sure the tube was actually in the pump hole. You can hook up a hose to the pipe to see if the water goes through the motor, but don't over pressure it.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep sounds like your pole missed the hole, :) drop lower unit re-align things make sure pick-up tube is in pump up-spout and I bet you'll be AOK.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well....when they say "Grandpa used it last" it very likely that the impeller is in serious need of replacement. Especially after sitting 20+ years. Excellent old motors, but they need the tune up once in a while. Replace the coils, waterpump and re-kit the carb and you'll have a motor that will last for years. Also check the lower unit oil. Most likely it needs to be replaced and the lower unit needs new seals as well.

Don't get me wrong. Grandpa is a great man and he loved you very much, but if he handed something down to you, like a classic outboard motor, it may need to be tuned up.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

He says he rebuild waterpump Zeph, you're up too late, go to bed :)

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice

Yes water pump rebuilt. And when I droped the lower unit yesterday I found that the copper pipe folded over rubber grommet. And I did find a thermostat on mine which is weird cause I thought the square top ones didn't have one. And here is the mystery of all, people help me out those of you that know these motors. Before I found the folded over grommet I put a garden hose on water inlet pipe and put other copper pipe in its place up inside housing. Turned on water and water came out of other pipe. Which would mean water goes out of lower unit. I am younger 26 so all I know of motors is that water comes out above water level on newer model motors. Model number on my motor is a 35012 if that helps out the older folks who know these motors. I need to know what these motors are supposed to be doing as stupid as that sounds. Thanks and I will post pics for you guys everyone is a great help on this site.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a quick rundown.

Your Rude has a t'stat controlled recirculating cooling system.

When you first fire your motor, water is fed to the powerhead via your water pump. There it is presented to the t'stat, and since your motor is still cold from just starting, the t stat is closed. The water is then recirculated back down to the pump. This continues until the motor reaches its engineered temp and the t stat opens. Now fresh water from the lake is pumped in and the old water is expelled. Your tstat may open and close many times, it constantly samples the water fed to the powerhead by your pump and opens/closes as necessary to maintain its optimal operating temperature.

Now just because your t'stat is closed, that does not mean you will not get any water expelled. There is a bypass at the t'stat. Very necessary, without it the exhaust would heat up quickly and there would be no visual tell tale.

Alot of boaters are under the false assumption that it is ok to remove the t'stat, dont do it, it is very necessary, but that is another story. Dont want to beat that to death again. :)

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I was going to run it without tstat and see what happens. But I will buy one. Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

How many guys know how to rotate pics before they post?? LOL about half.

Don't worry Chris. I'm a night owl. I work swing shift and am up late always.

Anyhow, you shouldn't run that motor without a thermostat. It's not good for them. The water circulation won't work correctly. I would go ahead and replace the thermostat and give yourself a good piece of mind. Thermostats should be changed out at the same time as the impeller. If you still don't have water circulation after replacing those two parts, then you might have an obstruction in your water passages some where. Anything is possible.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. T-stats are there for a reason. You can get a new one right here at iboats fora bout $15 and it just drops right in place in about 5 seconds. You can also use compressed air and/or the garden hose method to to check/clear any of the water passages.

haffcke

Cadet
Re: 1959 evinrude big twin 35hp I think

trying to figure out what year my big twin is ser. no. 25936-08021 also in running in a barrel the water pump works sporadically does this model have a thermostat? also is it possible to ad an electric fuel pump and block the return hose so i can use my newer single line hose? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Phil

sutor623

Rear Admiral

trying to figure out what year my big twin is ser. no. 25936-08021 also in running in a barrel the water pump works sporadically does this model have a thermostat? also is it possible to ad an electric fuel pump and block the return hose so i can use my newer single line hose? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Phil

You have a 1958 35hp. You should know that you need to start your own thread next time. If you do that we'd all be glad to help.