1959 Evinrude 35 hp rough idle, wire question

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1959 Evinrude 35 hp rough idle, wire question

Yeah, I only run it briefly on the ears.

About a year ago I actually ran across a seller on ebay who had NOS carburetors for sale. They were described as being for Evinrude 40 hps from the 70s. From looking at the pics in the listing, I could see that it was identical to my carb on the '59. It just didn't have the choke attachment points on the bowl. I bought two (they were very cheap) and sure enough they worked. I have a rebuilt original carb, a NOS with no choke and a NOS modified with a bowl/choke. I dialed in one of the carbs last year on the water, but now that the ignition system is redone I'll re check the adjustments on the carb. I'd like to see that 35 push my fiber runabout a bit faster.

Allenstark

Cadet

This thread has been a great help on my 59 Evinrudeimage.jpg rebuild. It had no spark so I have replaced coils, points, solenoids, wires, plugs, mercury switch and all fuel lines. What is the torque setting used to reattach the flywheel? Also can I just jump to the starter and ground to the battery to start the engine in a tank? Or do I have to bypass the kill switch somehow?
Thanks

lindy46

Captain

You should start a new thread with your questions. In answer to your questions, torque the flywheel to 60-65 ft.lbs. You can jump directly to the starter, but make sure your wiring harness is not connected to the motor, or if it is, make sure the ignition key is "On" to bypass the kill switch.