1958 Sportwin has small leak from crank/head?

mologus

Cadet
This is a 1958 10hp Sportwin. I have noticed small leaks of oil around the gasket for the crank half and the cylinder half (NOT the cylinder head!)<br /><br />This would be part 41 and 7 on my web page ;<br /> http://1958evinrude10hp.0catch.com/EvinrudePowerHead.htm <br /><br />Is this a problem for now? It does not leak much of anything. But is noticeable, seems to kinda bubble out oil very fine like, where the gasket is. Is this a sign of trouble to come? I tightened the bolts a little bit but they were pretty tight to begin with. (did not help)<br /><br />Other than this the motor runs great!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1958 Sportwin has small leak from crank/head?

It'll cause the engine to run a little leaner sometimes, which is not great. A crankcase reseal is a big job naturally since you've got to almost completely disassemble the engine. I would put it off to the winter myself if it's not bad.<br />You're going to need some Sealer 1000 and some new spagetti to fix it. Clean your mating surfaces to surgical standards.<br />I wonder what is causing it to leak now? Perhaps some non-alcohol resistant sealant was used in the past to seal it up, like RTV.<br /><br />PS - I've been playing around with "Permatex Motoseal Grey" in this application (it claimes itself to be good for it). So far, so good. But I'm still a long way from saying it works.

mologus

Cadet

I have had it with RTV on my motor. No more RTV for me please.<br /><br />If I go for the reseal then I will go for a complete rebuild.<br /><br />Thanks for the advice. Anyone else seen this on their motor before?<br /><br />(Thanks Paul)

mologus

Cadet

Still wondering if anyone has this problem I mentioned above? Let me know. Need the input. Thanks in advance.

Telephone Man

Recruit

I have recently bought a 18 hp 1958 Evinrude and I am dealing with the same problem. Kind of wondered the same thing. Now that it has been 2 years how did it work out.