1958 Johnson 35 super seahorse RDS20

How do I start this motor without being connected to the electric starter harness? I have disconnected the starter harness from the motor at the plug connection. Its in poor condition. Can I just place the speed lever to start while in neutral and pull the recoil handle?

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 Johnson 35 super seahorse RDS20

Should be able too. The battery is for electric start only. not needed for running the motor.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1958 Johnson 35 super seahorse RDS20

Yup...you can rope start that hoss, but be prepared to get an arm workout, especially if it hasn't been run in a while. If you have to rope start it, it's easier to pull the recoil/rope mechanism and actually wrap a knotted rope around the flywheel using the notch in the flywheel...more leverage that way.
It's easier to use the starter...pull the plugs and make sure the flywheel will turn easily. Then clean the starter connections and jump start it with a fresh/charged 12V battery...connect Pos on battery to cable on starter...connect Neg to battery and then touch the other end to the powerhead somewhere. Using the Pos end of the cables to make the connection will cause sparking at the battery or starter connection. Speed lever to start, shifter in neutral and gas in the system and carb...choke on/out until it fires.