1958 Evinrude lark shifting issue

ah09

Cadet
Hi all, Regarding my Johnson shipmaster controls on my 35 Lark:

First off, I love this old motor. It never misses a beat.

I cannot get the adequate travel from the controls to obtain forward and reverse. My shift box functions fine.

If I set it up so that the center of "neutral" on the motor is the center of my shift lever travel, It does not engage into forward or reverse very much. It will go into forward and reverse, but I am concerned that it will slip out at some point as it does not engage fully.

I have had bad shift dog problems with this motor, but recently invested in a very nice lower end. I tore it down and inspected the shift dog, It was very nice. None the less, I still did my common practice of "flipping" the shift dog so the old reverse side is now the forward side. The reverse side was pristine.

Please advise weather it is common to not engage in gear very far. The shift lever on the motor seems to move a mile into gear without the cable attached, I just want to be sure.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Evinrude lark shifting issue

Remove side plate to view brass shift connector. Hold brass shift connector securely, then attampt to move shift lever. If shift lever moves without moving brass shift connector, remove powerhead in order to correct play in linkage under powerhead.

ah09

Cadet

Remove side plate to view brass shift connector. Hold brass shift connector securely, then attampt to move shift lever. If shift lever moves without moving brass shift connector, remove powerhead in order to correct play in linkage under powerhead.

Okay, I thought slop may be a contributing factor as well.

So the travel that my control box has should be enough to fully engage the lower end in fwd and reverse? It seems like the lever on the motor travels a LOT more than the controls do.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

So the travel that my control box has should be enough to fully engage the lower end in fwd and reverse? It seems like the lever on the motor travels a LOT more than the controls do.

It should, but without actually being there, I don't know how much play exists within your control box. However, any play under that powerhead is a no no.

Paulmcghee

Recruit
Re: 1957 Evinrude lark shifting issue

Re: 1957 Evinrude lark shifting issue

I hope someone can shed some light. I have an Evinrude 1957 Lark and I can shift into forward and reverse, but when I give it more gas it disengages from the gear.