1958 Evinrude Four Fifty 50hp Starflite V4s-10 Outboard

Storm172_SBCT

Seaman Apprentice
image_218872.jpg image_218873.jpg This is what was on the back of my 1979 VIP tri hull dont know alot about outboards but this is the oldest looking outboard I have ever seen in my life. I would like to restore this old guy and keep him going so im sure ill have a ton of questions. If anyone has any information on this guy I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Storm

Last edited:

Storm172_SBCT

Seaman Apprentice
Any idea what this part is I need to order a new one and hopefully I can find it. I never saw one before? It?s outlined in red and I showed how it?s attached to the valves. It has a copper rod threw it. As you can see in the picture it has a grey wire attached to the bottom that was ran to the starter box.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????----That is an old time electric solenoid used to activate the choke flappers.-----If you plan to use this motor an a daily basis be prepared to buy a lot of gas.----I think this motor is the world record holder as far as being thirsty is concerned !

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
That motor is much older then your boat. As Racer1 said, it's a thirsty beast, just like my Johnson FatFifty will be. But I'm putting mine on a 1957 Duracraft, which won't see lots of use and I definitely won't be using every day. In my case, operational and looking period correct are my primary concerns, not fuel costs.

For a Fish/Ski, that is likely to see lots of use, I think I'd look for a 3cyl more modern Johnson/Evinrude motor. Much more reliable, much lighter and significantly more fuel efficient, which are all very important in high use, constantly on and off the throttle (like skiing/tubing), boating

I suspect a you can find parts and pieces to get it running if you decide to stick w the '58 Evinrude though

Good luck either way you proceed.

FYI, I'm looking for an outboard, and did a Craigslist search this morning, and there are more outboards for sale this week then last. For the next few weeks, month +/-, is probably still a good time to buy a motor as guys pull their old motor to swap for newer/larger HP for their own boats.

If you decide you want to swap to a different outboard, it may make more sense to work on the hull until fall, then look for a donor boat someone is looking to dump because they've given up on a project or it's too large a task and their Admiral wants it OUT OF THE YARD. Might end up w/ a better trailer, an outboard and possibly other odds and ends you need to wrap up your VIP.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The electric chokes are handy, but you can use the manual choke for the cold start (first) of the day, and you should not need it after that. You will find that motor has very strong low end power, but does not like to rev up. You may see 27MPH, if the boat is light enough.

Also, they pull start pretty easy. If you have an issue with spark, suspect cracks in the ign coil casing. It has two sets of points, one condenser and one coil.

Much luck...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is thirsty . ----But that motor is easy to maintain / repair.------You will not need a $100 / hr shop for that .------Nor does it use a $1500 fuel management computer.

Storm172_SBCT

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to keep it and run it on my boat. I'll make sure to build a spot for two tanks in the back lol. Here is the link if anyone else comes looking for parts list online for this 1958.

Last edited: