1958 10hp Evinrude Sportswin

Bradallen

Cadet
Ok so I have this old motor that I have been working on. I got it fired up and running. After sitting after I had it running I noticed oil dripping off the prop. Can anyone tell me if this would be a simple replacement of seals or a whole rebuild of the lower unit. I am not sure where to start and if their are rebuild kits for this.

Thanks for any help,

Brad :cool:

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1958 10hp Evinrude Sportswin

was the oil thin and black?..if so, it may be just unburned fuel mix and gunk draining from one of the drain holes in the lower unit shell...try to determine where the oil came from prior to dripping off the prop

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would also check the lower unit oil and make sure if there is no water intrusion. Milky white oil will indicate water has got in there. Like AlTn says, it's probably unburned fuel mix and that is very common. One other note. Keep those drain holes completely clear at all times. If water sits in those cavities over the winter months, it will freeze and break the lower unit housing.

Bradallen

Cadet

Yeah it is thin and black. I was just worried I needed to replace some seals. Probably do as I don't know when this has been gone through. I know for sure it hasn't in the last 20 years.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You'll still want to keep tabs on the oil in that lower unit though, because those on that particular model are notorious for troubles and often times go gunny bag. Good clean oil at all times will help prevent issues.