1958 10hp. evinrude <10016>..tiller handle reassembly

AlTn

Commander
Original problem was that twisting the grip resulted in a spot that yielded no armature plate movement through almost 90 degrees of twist, so, it would go from the start position to wot in about 40 degrees of grip movement. WOT would not get the throttle plate to a horizontal position, nor would the roller get to the end of the timing cam. Soooo, thinking that the tiller gears to vertical control shaft gears were out of sync, I proceeded to disassemble the tiller handle, and try to puzzle out the retiming of the gears. Three hours into this and I think I'm backing up. Looking at the diagram on marineengine.com, there is no groove pin for the grip end of the handle and the idler stop screw and spring duties are handled by a torx bit jammed into the vertical shaft. Is the groove pin necessary? If someone could tell me what to look for in timing the gears, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 10hp. evinrude <10016>..tiller handle reassembly

First, I think you were barking up the wrong tree. I don't see how any of the above could have caused the problem. Is the plastic key in place in the bottom end of the vertical shaft? Is it worn out or sheared off?

Anyhow, the first male gear tooth of the pinion mates up with the first female tooth of the other gear. The groove pin really doesn't do anything once it is all assembled, so I guess it isn't necessary.

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1958 10hp. evinrude <10016>..tiller handle reassembly

Thanks, F_R..I'll return to "puzzlin'" with renewed vigor...yeah, maybe would have been better off leaving things as they were. I guess the plastic key was missing or sheared as it's not there now.