1957 Johnson Javelin 35 hp Fuel Problem

I need help with my 1957 Johnson javelin 35 hp gold top, I have it running really good, But I believe there is a fuel problem, I get the motor started easily, and it quits after a minute or two then stalls and spills gas out of carb area, I pull the air line from tank, place back on and prime it'll start back up and run till it stalls and spills the gas again, Some times I can keep running if I prime it while running, I am using a mercury tank with 2 line air pressure fitting, tank holds good pressure can hear it sisssss out when I open it. I have no idea what to check for, I believe its a pressure problem maybe? What should I do or clean ?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1957 Johnson Javelin 35 hp Fuel Problem

Hi Billy. Super cool old motor you've got there. The fact that fuel is coming out of the carb makes me think that the float needle is getting stuck, causing the motor to flood and die. To check you'll need to remove the carb and clean/rebuild it. Not to worry, it's a DIY job and you can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. Here are some great links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. Make sure you're running the motor in a test tank with water filled up to about 1"-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the motor, as well as using 24:1 fuel/oil mix with Champion J6C plugs.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
1957 Johnson RJE-19 35 hp Outboard Motor Parts

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I like to collect the Javelins. Have any pics?

Does it have its original float? Might need a cleaning and re coating as it is sinking then flooding the motor.

I took carb apart and soaked the float in cup of gas for few hours, I removed and let sit and it was floating no problems, mean while I tore apart the carb and cleaned very well, I placed back together and I relized the float was rubbing and sticking to something inside, I tested by blowing air by mouth thru gas intake tube, I tilted the carb upside down while blowing and it would stop air flow, and sometimes keep allowing the air flow, I think I might need a new carb kit because the float sticking against bowl walls or something. does this all sound typical? or was I testing it the wrong way? anyone know where to get the carb rebuild?

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again billy. It definitely sounds like something is sticking. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. You'll also want to get a new, plastic float to replace the old cork variety. Here are some links that can walk you through a carb rebuild as well as a link to the rebuild kit itself.

Carburetor Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 385356 382052 439075 382053, GLM 40530 - Sierra - iboats
Carburetor Float for Johnson/Evinrude 382363, GLM 77290 - Sierra - iboats

5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1954 Carburetor Tune-Up Procedure (great rebuild link. It's for a slightly different model, but all of the steps are the same.)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Kfa you sure that float fits? Im not certain, but I dont believe it will work. I have never seen a plastic float for a 50s 35hp OMC. Not saying it wont work for certain, but dont think the float arms are the same?

Billy your problem is likely your needle sticking in the seat. The new OEM kits will have a needle with a rubber tip, and a clip which attaches to the float arm to pull the needle off its seat when the float drops. They are much improved.

it has a newer looking needle on it with a rubber tip and steel clip, the float seams to be rubbing, looks like the original or cork atleast, I pulled out the idel adjustment screws they were pretty dirty to, but they seem to be cleaned, I twisted 1.5 turns out from bottom, that's correct for now till I get it running on the water to adjust right? Im going to post pics of carb float and dismantle parts, im taking it to my step dads tonight to help work it out, id like to get on the water this weekend maybe,.. thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

They are not technically idle adjustment screws. They are the low speed needle, and high speed needle. Low on top, high on bottom. They adjust the air/fuel mixture at high speed operation (bottom one) and air/fuel mixture at low speed operation (top one).

The idle adjust is around the side of the motor at the base of the throttle tower. Turn it in to increase idle RPM, out to decrease. Set it at idle in reverse gear so that it wont die.

OK... Tore apart the carb with a mechanic friend, he instantly relized that the float was rubbing the bowl(Thinks it swelled up sum) he said its been refurbished already but original looking float, He shaved the sides of float so now its raw cork, (I might need advice on coating it?) also Stoped the problem, I put it in the lake and curzed it, didn't leak any gas what so ever, But its not running at full speed, it sounds like it wants to, just wont go, I let my Girl friend drive the whole time while I played with the needle adjustment, I kinda had it at one point, I think top out about 1 1/8 turn, and bottom at 1 3/4 turns, around those, But still in best settings slowly turning and letting engine catch up, it didn't run as good as I think, maybe the idle screw on the side like you said would help the high speed some? or just air fuel mix, Im used to the bikes, were you set the idle, then high speed, then readjust the idle, is that similar? or what order should I adjust this engine? ALMOST GOT HER GOING GOOD! I THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. wouldn't have gotten her this far with out ya!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The high speed is usually much less lean. Mine end up being around 1/2 turn from seated.

82rude

Rear Admiral

how are the coils ?not running full speed could be a coil breaking down and limiting you to 1 cylinder.the last set i took out of a similar motor had the same symptoms and when i took them i could litterally crush the coils with my hand.its amazing the motor even ran atall.i wish i had of taken pics but i didnt you,d be shocked at how they were.not saying this is your problem but its worth a look .a motor that old may need several things checked and or replaced.impeller,carb kit, points ,condencers and coils come to mind.check for good compression also.hope you get her running those were beauties!

are there links for new coils for the 1957 Johnson javelin 35 hp ? the coils look good, I get huge shock when holding wire, lol

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is one sweet setup! I love it.

I see you are missing a "3", there is a Maple Leaf Chapter member that fabricates them. I can pass along his info if you want. I have some, but you will have to buy them off my wife after I pass, Im not much of a seller, :)

The issue is likely with the wire itself. Is it original? Plug wire is cheap, im not sure why guys dont change it when they do the coils. Just get some metallic core stranded wire, usually copper, by the foot and change it out. What colour are your coils?

Thanks I spent all summer sanding and painting last year, I got to re finish the grab rails and interior still just figured I get it out on the water this year first, I am missing the 5 I believe, and im bout to buy another 57' engine I think, hope its on there, If you need parts i'll have spare engine soon,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That parts motor is not a Javelin, so wont have the removable 3 and 5. Its "35" will be in decal form. Not fancy like the Javelin.

Ill PM the fellow MLC members contact info for the missing numbers.