1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11 New to Outboards

fattlyons

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I was handed down my grandfather's 1957 Johnson FDE-11 just recently and I'm planning to do a complete overhaul after I use it this season. It's been sitting for a long time but my father said he had it running and working fine in a bucket.

No matter what I plan to replace the water pump, lower seal, and gear oil in the lower unit soon. It appears to have sat in the water for some time so I suspect there could be water in the lower unit. I have an order with Iboat set up for:
1957 Johnson Outboard Owner's Manual 376907 - Ken Cook Co.
1957 Johnson Outboard Parts Catalog 377022 - Ken Cook Co.
Water Pump Repair Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 382468 - Sierra
Lower Unit Gear Housing Seal Kit for Johnson/Evinrude, GLM 87606 - Sierra

Will I need the seals for the vent plugs or is that included in the lower unit kit? If it runs do I need to mess with anything else out of the gate?

At the same time I want to switch over to a single line fuel system which is where I really need some help. I've seen various threads and posts and have an idea of where to begin but I would like to start ordering parts if I can before I get my manuals and go through the motor. Anyone done the same with this motor that can give me directions most of the threads I've found are vague?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11 New to Outboards

Hi fattylyons. Cool old motor you got there. One of the all time greats in fact. It sounds like you're on the right track, but I would go ahead and rebuild the carb in addition to the lower unit service. You can get a ignition components, carb rebuild kits and lower unit reseal kits all right here at iboats for about $20 each. The lower unit reseal kit will come with new white, nylon crush washers for the DRAIN and VENT screws in additon to the oil seals themselves. If you should need to pull the flywheel to service the ignition, you'll need to use a flywheel puller with GRADE 8 bolts and washers as the bolts the puller comes with will not be strong enough for the job. You'll need 3, 1/4'' x 20 x 3'' GRADE 8 bolts and washers which you can get at any Lowes/HD. You'll also want to use Champion J4C or J6C spark plugs with a 24:1 fuel/oil mix. Here are some great links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom, including the fuel pump conversion. Holler if you get stuck.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
1957 Johnson FDE-11 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/fastwin-lower-unit-seal-faq-277190.html
Evinrude / johnson 18-20 hp LOWER UNIT disassembly - YouTube
HOW TO PULL SEALS FROM LOWER UNITS - YouTube
3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967 (great ignition rebuild link. It's for a different model, but all of the steps are the same for your motor)
5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1954 Carburetor Tune-Up Procedure (great carb rebuild link. again, for a slightly different model than yours, but all of the steps are the same)

...ooops almost forgot

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm

Last edited:

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11 New to Outboards

I'd suggest reading the Top Secret File at the top of this forum's topics. I think fixing up your grandfather's motor is a wonderful idea. Please post some pics as you move along.