1957 Evinrude 18hp 15020) carb kit

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think its a 15020 (making it a 1957 18hp)

I looked up the carb kit but it doesn't list a carb kit with a float. I haven't taken the carb apart yet, but I'm pretty sure it might have the old cork floats. Where can I get the newer style floats or am I SOL?

Also, I can't find a carb diagram for this engine as the Evinrude/Johnson website don't go back to that vintage. My limited expertise in the older carbs tells me that they only used fiber washers and no o-rings on the low and high speed jets, is that correct? How many fiber washers for low and high speed jets?

Previous owner couldn't get it to run. Replaced coils, points and condensers, but had no luck. Found CJ8 champion spark plugs in it that looked like they belonged in a chain saw. I have J6C in it now (which I believe is what it calls for) but it has good spark. I believe the problem was the rusty water he had in his fuel tank. I've also converted it over to a vacuum operated fuel pump and single line tank, but am working on rebuilding the carb before I fire it up.

Now, the last question, mixture. Is it 16:1 or 24:1? Or something different? I know its not 50:1, but can't remember what it is.

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise, fellow forum goers!

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1957 Evinrude 18hp 15020) carb kit

cr9c1
I bought My kit for My 1957 Johnson 18hp from Dan Gano;

http://www.ganotech.com/

He will ask if You want a cork or new style float.
The Mix is 24 to 1.
For a parts break down go to http://www.marineengine.com/
They have breakdowns back to 1955.
Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you're on the right track. The '57 18hp is a great motor. One of the most dependable ever built. I have owned a few of that year and all were good runners.

wbeaton

Commander

The carb kit you want is available from your dealer part number BRP 439071. The aftermarket Sierra kit doesn't have the float. Fuel/oil ratio is 24:1. PM me your email address and I'll send you the parts manual for your motor.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, made a starting attempt tonight. Looks like the vacuum fuel pump I bought isn't going to do the trick and I will have to use the Mikumi (sp?). First time I squeezed the bulb fuel started leaking out of it. It made a few sputtering attempts but it looks like I'm going to have to pull the flywheel and inspect the PO's work on replacing the ignition components. I should've done this to start with, but I thought I might get lucky. Not so lucky.

So carb kit and new float and adjusting the points and making sure everything is good to go and I'll attempt to start it again. The few attempts it made give me hope though.

It looks like whoever had it didn't use it much. Its got buttloads of compression and looks like new under the cover. So maybe a good find.