1957 7.5HP Fleetwin (7522), Running a tad rough

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
...and retaining ring flat side up?

The piece with the chamfer on it and the holes that holds the mag plate. Yes. Flat side UP, chamfer side down, towards motor.
Marine engine .com shows it chamfer side up, though.

ITEM_2831-POWERHEAD.gif

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
...but many of the diagrams are indeed misleading. Not sure why -- aftermarket sources, maybe.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
...but many of the diagrams are indeed misleading. Not sure why -- aftermarket sources, maybe.

This is why I ask. I was a mechanic in the USAF, and I've done a lot of work on cars, hot rods, truck etc. I've been a machinist/ Manufacturing Engineer for 30 years too. I know squat about outboards though. Just figured out how a magneto works. The mag plate rotates to advance the spark and give it more fuel simultaneously. Ole Evinrude was a smart son of a gun, Johnson Bros too.. I wondered why they didn't just keep the mag plate stationary. I figured that out anyway. Still a thousand things to learn.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Would a mechanic in the USAF use a manual to diagnose / repair equipment ?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Would a mechanic in the USAF use a manual to diagnose / repair equipment ?

Yes, in addition to a ton of classroom training and hands on lab work. We worked in teams also. Never one guy working on anything himself.

Your point being I'm asking too many questions and not reading the manual myself?