1956 Johnson 30 HP restore and fuel conversion project

TrapperJ

Cadet
Re: 1956 Johnson 30 HP restore and fuel conversion project

Messed with my trailer and looked around the engine some this break, tried pulling on it, man that thing is tough, but it does slowly move. I read there are some things to check and look in to. I'll see if it makes a diff when we do the compression test.

Almost makes me wonder how long that old rope and handle will hold up. I can just see me driving about 30 mins from the dock then go to move and yoink! off come the handle lol Might invest in a back up to have on board.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Change the rope, AND have a backup. You will thank me. Changing the rope take literally a minute

jasper60103

Commander

Also, find yourself a parts motor like the one shown below. The electric starter and others parts will come in handy eventually. JMO. Good luck.

Attachments

• 50s Johnson 30hp.JPG
    50s Johnson 30hp.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 0

TrapperJ

Cadet

not a bad idea, but mine isnt the electric start, just pull only. So yeah I will replace and get a back up rope. Cause if that rope goes down its trolling motor or paddle back to the dock. lol

TrapperJ

Cadet

Compression Test going down tonight!

jasper60103

Commander

not a bad idea, but mine isnt the electric start, just pull only. So yeah I will replace and get a back up rope. Cause if that rope goes down its trolling motor or paddle back to the dock. lol

Fortunately, your motor can be converted to electric start.
But as you implied in post #25, determining the health of the motor is the first priority.

TrapperJ

Cadet

Ok results are in, the top one had a comp of about 65-70psi and the bottom was 70-75psi

Have no idea if this is good or bad.

The engine has been sitting, we didn't do anything to it other than hook up the tester and start pulling.

Tell me the good news or bad news or to try something else maybe?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The good thing is that they are even.

It is very hard to get high compression numbers pulling those big bears over. I have had 50s OMC Big Twins with 130 psi using the electric starter, then only 75 to 80 psi manually pulling it over. So you are likely ok. Did you remove the plugs out of both cylinders to make it easier?

TrapperJ

Cadet

Yes we took the plugs out of both when pulling, it was still a tough pull though.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Something is wrong then. With the plugs out, the flywheel should spin with minimal effort. I would drop the gearcase and try again. If it frees it up, time to open up the gearcase. If it is still very hard to turn, may have internal powerhead issues. Maybe the previous owner heard from " Joe down the street...." that you can run these at 50:1, which is ridiculous. They absolutely need the 24:1, mixture.

TrapperJ

Cadet

oh let me revise that statement.

When we took both plugs out, it was easier to pull, it was still pretty tough when I had the compression tester plugged in one, and no spark plug on the other one.

TrapperJ

Cadet

image.jpgimage.jpg

Here is a pic with the bypass covers off, pistons look smooth. And I could watch them move while pulled the rope.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do all the rings "bounce" when you push on them with a small screwdriver?

TrapperJ

Cadet

Yes sir!

F_R had mentioned to me about trying that They do all bounce just a touch.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is good. I would say you are good to go!

TrapperJ

Cadet

Sounds good I'm going to continue on with my little project then.

TrapperJ

Cadet

F_R took care of me on getting my engine ready for the new fuel pump and mounting capabilities its out for delivery today :)

Where can i get some fuel hose? Only thing i keep finding are like 50' worth i dont need that much, i figured i would replace the old hoses while i am in there, couldnt hurt. 5-6' would probably be more than plenty. for the lines inside the cowl.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Trapper. You can usually go to any auto store with a bit of the old hose and they can cut you a few feet of the new stuff to length. It's usually only $2-$3 a foot. I use regular automotive line, although they do make ethanol resistant marine fuel lines, but it's a bit pricey and may be harder to find in Ok.

TrapperJ

Cadet

ohhh ok, thats easy enough! i wasn't sure if it had to be anything special or what.

Cool i'll just hit my local O'Riely's

Can't wait to see if i can give this old beauty a new lease on life!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Holy Cow 3 bucks a foot! I dont think even the dealer charges that much here.

I buy the fuel line by the 100' roll, but I restore alot of motors. It is about $0.42 a foot all said and done. That is ethanol proof line as well. I would reccomend you get that, unless you want the line deteriorating internally clogging your carb and causing a lean condition. That could be bad. It is not something you will need to change for another 50 years, so why cheap out over a couple bucks.