1956 Johnson 15hp. upper side mount installation

zino

Seaman
On a 56 Johnson 15hp what is the procedure to install a upper side mount, is there an easy way without a teardown.

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: 1956 Johnson 15hp. upper side mount installation

you mean the rubber engine mount?
if thats what you mean youll have to take the engine off of the transom clamp you do this by taking the lower mount off the engine theres 2 screws two acorn nuts and two BIG flat head screws then you take the nuts of the engine mounts on the side of the motor and theres an engine mount underneath the power head youll need a 1/2" open end box end wrench and the biggest flat head screw driver you can find
heres an exploded veiw :
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2747/ITEM_274700001.htm
go to page 8 you can right click and print all the pages and youll have a parts manual

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I concur. Take off the two lower engine mounts and then the whole thing flops around enough to do the upper side ones. The center one is a lot tougher though. BTW, I have the same engine and parts manual for it if you want to PM me your email address and request.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea. I had to change a broken swivel tube on an old 18 once. It was actually pretty easy and did it in less than an hour. I had to undo the lower rubber mounts in the process.

levi_tsk

Ensign

i tore mine down for the purpose of replacing the gaskets and nickel anti siezing ALL the bolt it took a couple hours but i only rung one bolt off and i ended up getting that one out once the power head was off the bolts and screws where REALLY cruddy and that makes me think the motor saw salt water for a brief spell at least and i think the couple of hours it took to take all the bolts out and antiseize each one was well worthwhile for future repairs and i recomend it but DO NOT use the copper type anti sieze as it will accellerate the corrosion process