1956 CD-13 5.5HP Johnson Fuel Line Replacement

Kirscher

Cadet
Someday, this outboard will run again.;) I had it out for opening day of Walleye fishing. Got about 200 feet from shore and engine stopped. Since the wind was against me, it took about 2 hrs. to get back to the dock.:( After pulling the cord about 200 times, I decided to try trouble shooting the no start problem. Low and behold, the fuel line was split next to the engine. I sliced a piece off and tried to reconnect it to the fitting. Darn thing just kept splitting.:( I bought 2 feet of new hose, but now I can't figure out how to remove the old hose except in pieces, which I am reluctant to do since I want to use it to measure off a new piece. I figure that if I can not remove the old hose, then how the devil will I ever get a new one in all those curves, bends, etc. So here is my question: What is the trick to replace the hose so it fits where the original fitted?

Thanks,

The guy older than the engine.;)

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1956 CD-13 5.5HP Johnson Fuel Line Replacement

Hmm - my 1955 CD-12 only has a short gas hose - about 6-8" long going from the connector to the carb. It doesn't go through much in the way of twists or bends. Pretty much a straight shot from connector to carb. Has yours been modified?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you may have to remove something or route it another way.

Kirscher

Cadet

I have not modified anything on the engine. I have considered just running the hose(s) direct like your CD-12, but the current hose is not that way. It runs under a plate on the arm and up through a hole below the carb before connecting to the carb. I have tried to pull the hose through all the stuff but it will not budge. I want the engine to be "as factory made".

Last edited:

Kirscher

Cadet

I gave up waiting for a response from you and tore apart the fuel lines. It turned out quite easy to replace the lines. First, I cut the old ones out. I had to use a pliers since they were fed through the handle via two small holes and between an upper and lower plate in the handle. Replacing them turned out easier than taking the old ones out. I first separated the new fuel line between the two components of the line. (It is a two line hose.) Next, I started at the connector end and fed the line between the bottom and upper plates. When I got to the holes in the upper plate, I used a right angled pliers to grab the fuel line at the hole and pulled it through. I did this to both lines. I then connected both lines at the connector, and then the carb. I used tie wraps to tighten the lines at the fittings rather than clamps of any type. Tested it and the engine runs fine.:)