1954 evinrude 7.5 case leaking :( now what? what to use to seal the crankcase?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i finally get this motor running, but i have the same problems. erratic idle. after much observation i have a leak at the case. looks like it was repaired before with some redish goo.
i have 90/90 in each cylinder, motor looks rough on the outside but i think its a low hour motor. when i resealed the lu, the gears and clutch dog were like new. the clutch dog didnt have any marks at all.
so i have never split a case, and it doesnt seem to hard on the little ph. the manual calls for 1000 hard set seal. can i just use the oem brp gasked sealer? or is pemetex better ( i dont recall which one, buts its dark in color, smells bad and doesnt get off anything) or do i use some silicone?
anything i need to know before hand? if i get this correct, i remove carb, intake, flywheel ignition, pull the head off. drift out the alignment pins, then dissassemble as required. clean off the old goo, and slap some new goo put the thing back together. am i missing anything? add extra goo at the upper and lower bypass hose.
really need to know what to use to seal the crankcase halfs.
thanks
dino

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1954 evinrude 7.5 case leaking :( now what? what to use to seal the crankcase?

I use the GelSeal/LocTite 518 on my crankcases. It's the red translucent anaerobic sealer...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1954 evinrude 7.5 case leaking :( now what? what to use to seal the crankcase?

The sealer 1000 has been superseeded to 3M 847, available at your dealer. That is also used for sealing the gearcases. Good product.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thank you for the quick responses. i knew someone would chime in with the answer. wish me luck. now i have to stock pile some parts before i can tear that power head apart. thinking i should replace the upper seal.
dino