1953 10hp Firestone Outboard Restoration

M

mrcrabs

Re: 1953 10hp Firestone Outboard Restoration

those old motors are cherrys, tanks are clean and all seems well.....I don't think the 1-25 has been across the lake twice in its life and the 3.6 about the same, I do plan to run them some after I revisit the fuel and points systems but my main thing is home decoration....my wife told me ( after a heated family debate) that I could decorate my side of the living room however I wanted, that was because I have to look at my 85 year old mother in law and her sh!tt pot... who dominates my life now since she moved in univited...( she failing) but I refuse to dump the sh!tt pot and believe it or not laquer thinner helps with the smell :lol:....so I decided my side looked best in Scott Atwater and I just setup my little winter shop back there...hahahahaha let her mess wiith me again.....Oh woman no thou place....hehehee evil :mad:

I'm in the procces of making three new cork floats, my problem seems to be stablizing the cork stopper and finding center so I can turn it with the drill agains a sanding board...wich works OK but you need center to do a good job and centering a cone shaped cork is problmatic so far...oh welll I will get,
PS big cork stoppers are getting hard to find, hardware store said they can't get anymore and had these for yesrs and they were the last so I bought them all....big dif in weight between a new cork and a old lead gas soaked 60 year old one

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

My old Firestone and Scott's with the cork floats have no problem (even with age) floating as evidenced by the float tickler standing at attention. However, I think I may try to find or make a cork replacement just to see if I can get the (fuel) problematic motors (3.6 Scotty and 7.5 Firestone) to run. Let us know how the new 'corks' work out.

Wow! You have your hands full with the mom-in-law situation. But you did get the motors inside; a plus. My motors are relegated to the garage and shed. I don't stand a prayer of moving them into the house.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I suppose stubbornness and determination are good reasons for messing around with old deteriated cork floats. But when you get tired of that, then buy a new Sierra 18-7208 (for Mercury) Nitrophyl float here at iboats or locally, and be finished with the problem forever. Does not absorb fuel and is Ethanol proof. Just drill the center hole all the way through to use on the old AJ carbs.

Willyclay

Captain

No choke - it was a primer system. Tickle the float needle when it pops up through the carb cap to "flood" the motor a bit...

Flashback to my Mercury KD4(S) AND I learn another one of F_R's secrets. Love this forum!

M

mrcrabs

I have succsesfully reproduced 1 AJ2A carb float from cork, here is a lesson I'm learning 1. cork stoopers of the large size are almost gone from the harware stores, they tell me they can't get them anymore so get'u while you can 2. building a mandrel to hold the dang thang is tuff but I found a ittle four pronged piece of hardware bent the barbs backards set it in the corks center (hard to find center) and used E6000 craft glue as a back up to the mandrels barbs 3. the wife get tired fast holding the drill....lolol

F-R I looked at the float part you mention but I don't see how to make a round, a bout 7/8 x 7/8 float out of it ....yet

firestone10hp

Recruit

hello there don't know if you can help or maybe point me in the right direction im looking for a crank shaft for a 1953 10 hp firestone

thanks scott

M

mrcrabs

View attachment 177168View attachment 177169 She's a cherry;) I have pretty much got the 10hp line covered from 52 -57 although my 56 model and the 53-54 gold penants and firestones are my favorites....now all I need to do is learn how to make impellers for bail a matics,

I have been talking witha nice China man about making me some for $5-10 a pop but I need to buy at the least 20 he says and send him one of my NOS 10hp impellers to copy....which I will never get back

M

mrcrabs

So I find out that Shanghi century ( Jack Wang ) makes most everybodys impellers these days, mercs, OMC, Yamaha and I suppose Jabisco etc etc etc.....from what I have been able to find out nothing is made in the US except the "run dry" stuff Ole Jackie say 5000 unit Doug or go fish.....

Last edited:

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I probably have a hank of aluminium around here that I could make a sleeve out of that you could press in there. I'd feel better if I could measure the bore to be fit myself, but if you got a good diameter and length, I could run ya somethin' up.

M

mrcrabs

Mahty I will send yeah a e-mail about my hair brain scheme, in just a minute....I have been running all day and I'm starting to nod off a little, and if this is successful then we can publish the details

M

mrcrabs

Ok this my second try at this post,

I re lined a 54 bail a matic main pump housing using extruded aluminum pipe...hand worked and used a pipe plug lathe to get the OD...I heated the housing to 250 per mahtys spec and froze the new aluminum liner and made a interferance fit , then ported the inlet and used JB weld to stream line edges and voids...sealed all edges with Red Kote....Oh and I used the Honda #19210-ZW9-013 impeller, the new woodruff key pin is still in development, I have figured the correct size out and tested but not in stainless yet

I want to thank Brian Hart Wilcox for the Idea and Mahtymaht for guidence, math...lol and work he put in on his lathe.

View attachment 180475
View attachment 180479View attachment 180478View attachment 180477View attachment 180476
I will test her out when the weather is better and I can put a new cord on my big drill.

M

mrcrabs

View attachment 182715View attachment 182716View attachment 182717View attachment 182718

Ok I finially got them all up arse backwards, yep it all cleaned up nice and the needlebearings are fine, pulled the Stainless impeller cup after bakin the piece for 30 min at 250 degrees, all seals pulled and ready to replace, I have the Engine finished and ready to mount, I have my repacement Late mode OEM impeller picked out for this 52-53 model design....but I need to come up with drive pin out of something like Delrine...the keyway is much larger on my new impeller so I need a fatty pin preferably some type of plastic so I won't wear the cup, more pictures soon