1952 Fleetwin 7.5 hp carb question

dblackb99

Cadet
I recently obtained one of these motors and have managed to get it running - sort of. Points, coils, condensers, plugs all replaced and now my attention is focused on the carb which sat for many years and was pretty gummed up. I cleaned it but it really needs a complete rebuild. So I have 2 questions:
1. Does anyone still make/sell rebuild kits for those carbs?
2. As parts seem more readily available for 1954 and newer motors, can the original carb be replaced by a newer model with more parts availability?
Thanks!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Re: 1952 Fleetwin 7.5 hp carb question

any dealer or iboats should have your parts or vintageoutboard.com

most critical is the float. sometimes you can reuse it and the gaskets ( if not broken...while openning gently )

it is always best to replace everyting ( packings, inlet point, clean the upper slow speed drip chamber etc... but everytingelse can be cleaned .. do not clean the float with carb cleaner !!!! if the float looks half decent you can sand it lightly and recoat with crazy glue

clean everyting and air blow all orifices.

dblackb99

Cadet

Thanks, but both those suppliers cut off at 1955 with nothing earlier listed. If there is another kit that would work and at least give me new jets, seats, etc then I'd give that a shot. The gasket I can make myself, and the float is still good.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That motor uses a Tillotson model MD carb, not the OMC carb used on later models. Might have to get creative if replacing anything, .ie making your own gaskets, re-purposing hardware store items, etc. Discount Marine appears to have some carb kits for them, but I've never dealt with them myself... Google Discount Marine and Tillotson and their page should come up for you, kit #DI-20238

dblackb99

Cadet

Thank you. Discount Marine have them in stock.:encouragement: