1950 Reynolds Aluminum Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

damielke

Cadet
I have a 1950 R J Renyolds 12' Aluminum Boat that was my Grandfathers. All the aluminum is solid and no dents. All the wood, seat tops, motor mount, top edges and bottom runners, have to be replaced. All the research I have done, this boat seems to be pretty rare. I also have a late 40s, early 50s Atlas motor. This is what they call a "dock buster". No forward or reverse. You start it and it goes! The motor runs great but needs all of the seals replaced.
Curious if any one out there can tell me what they are worth, as is. Also, can I list / sell them on this site?
Thank you all in advance!
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpg
    IMG_5987.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5989.jpg
    IMG_5989.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5992.jpg
    IMG_5992.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 16

mr 88

Commander
Not a big collectors market for boats , unless they are classic wood or glass with fins on them or some sort of wild design to them. My guess is your boat is worth 500 -750 and the motor a couple hundred at most . Not a lot of people out there looking for non running Atlas motors or vintage aluminum boats , [ FeatherCraft being the exception ] . If it was MY Grandfathers setup the last thing I would be doing is selling it , way to much sentimental value to give up for a few bucks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would join AMCOI (???) and look for advice to bring her back to life to honor Grandad.

iBoats has a fee-based listing service. Click on Boats For Sale on top of any page. Selling is not permitted in the forum.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have a 1950 R J Renyolds 12' Aluminum Boat that was my Grandfathers. All the aluminum is solid and no dents. All the wood, seat tops, motor mount, top edges and bottom runners, have to be replaced. All the research I have done, this boat seems to be pretty rare. I also have a late 40s, early 50s Atlas motor. This is what they call a "dock buster". No forward or reverse. You start it and it goes! The motor runs great but needs all of the seals replaced.
Curious if any one out there can tell me what they are worth, as is. Also, can I list / sell them on this site?
Dave
With some exceptions, the current marketplace is for people to get out on the water right now, without having to do a lot of work. The classic / antique market has dried up considerably.

You might get a couple hundred for the entire rig, but you might have to wait a while. You didn't mention a trailer, so that's another drawback.

Atlas motors were introduced in 1947 and discontinued in 1956. Not many survived and not a lot of parts out there. Your motor has a forward gear, but no neutral or reverse.

I have an Atlas and its in nearly mint condition. Paid 20 bucks for it. By classic boat was restored in 2005 and appraised at the time for $10k. One recently sold on EBay for $4k, in about the same condition.

The OB motor aficionados are in the Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc (AOMCI).

If I had my Grandpa's boat, I would never part with it.
P6050075web.jpg

1948 Atlas Royal Model 2A3, 5.0 HP.

Last edited:

damielke

Cadet
I would join AMCOI (???) and look for advice to bring her back to life to honor Grandad.

iBoats has a fee-based listing service. Click on Boats For Sale on top of any page. Selling is not permitted in the forum.
What is AMCOI? Put in search and nothing boat related came up.
Thank You!

G8orz

Recruit
Dave
I have one just like it.with the exception of the Reynolds Aluminum Crest which supports the Stern seat. I believe Reynolds made mine as a private label boat for RichLine Boats in Richland, MO. My Stern plate says Rich-Line 13 ft, but it is between 11 and 12 ft.
There used to be a site for Richline boats which was managed by the son of the founder of the company. I'm not sure it is still active. I tried once to convince him his father may have purchased some Reynolds boats to sell while he was trying to get his line started. (I bought my boat in Missouri where 100 miles from where the plant used to be.
My father bought a Reynolds boat when he returned from overseas. We lived in Florida. I remember fishing in a bay called Card Sound just south of Homestead and above Jew Fish Creek. The sat water was not kind to the old aluminum boat.
I bought the one I have for the nostalgia. It is complete with no dents or leaks. Like yours, mine still has the corrugated decks, and they are attached. The oarlocks are attached. The bow does not have the original rivets. Otherwise all rivets are original
I am interested to know if your grandfather had a trailer for your boat. The trailer my father had was a super carriage in that the boat hung below the trailer. I don't know if was original to the boat or not.

I think the drain in your boat is an ad-to. Mine has none. The bow piece on mine is a continuous loop rather than split.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.